XLR jack confusion

Mucker · 3708

Offline Mucker

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 07:21:37 AM
OK, I will leave it alone. Thank you!

Offline Mucker

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2023, 05:41:55 PM
I hate to dig up an old post but wanted to share a new experience with my amp that is directly related to this thread.

I initially tried the S3X with my Klipsch RP-600M speakers and while the experience was very good, I decided to wire the amp for just headphone use since I had other high power speaker amps.

Then curiosity set in recently about possibly using a tube amp to drive my pair of Klipsch RF-7ii (8 OHM, 250W RMS / 1000W peak). The specs showed the sensitivity (101dB) was actually higher than the 600M (96dB) so I thought "hmmm ..... I wonder what the S3X would do with these beasts?" I thought I'd say yep, they're just ok, but, BOY WAS I COMPLETELY WRONG. The S3X drives them excellently and sounds awesome!

I don't listen to loud music anymore, however, the S3X drives these RF-7ii plenty good. The volume is set to 50% and it's perfect. (wired 4 ohm).

I wired the amp through the XLR jack as described earlier in this thread and set it up using Paul's directions. It couldn't have worked out better and I am really happy. The SEX can do it all .... great headphone amp and apparently a great speaker amp with high sensitivity speakers.

I am going to listen to this setup for a while to see if I can hold off buying a full blown integrated tube amp. So far so good.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 07:04:14 PM by Mucker »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2023, 06:07:43 PM
250W through RF7s will peel the paint off your walls.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mucker

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2023, 06:58:24 PM
LOL

I have been driving them with a high power Emotiva XPA-2 G2. I could swear the S3X sounds better. Quite amazing. And it is dead black silent.

I think I'm past the days of thunder ... and I like the near field but glorious soundstage listening now....

Thanks again for all your help Paul!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 07:20:07 PM by Mucker »