I'm getting a high Raw B+ Voltage [resolved]

marioed · 985

Offline marioed

on: December 31, 2021, 06:11:08 AM
First off, Happy New Year Everyone,

I ran the Raw B+ Voltage test on Wednesday and am getting a high voltage reading of 331 V. When I first ran the B+ test I hadn't realized I had soldered the 24U & 26U terminal 220 capacitor in backwards, with the banded end at 24U not 26U. The 6V6 tubes were installed, when I plugged the power cord in, I had some smoke come from a couple of locations near the capacitor. After I unplugged the power cord and removed the tubes, I unsoldered the capacitor and resoldered it in the correct position. I've run the Raw B+ test a couple of times and the voltage comes up at 331 V each time. I read some of the other posts about high B+ voltage and have examined my solder joints, redoing a couple that looked suspicious but no joy. Did I fry the capacitor or some of the resistors? I could use a fresh set of eyes and ideas. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mario
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:44:09 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:21:50 AM
Your voltage being a little high isn't the end of the world, perhaps your incoming AC line voltage is a little on the high side.  A damaged cap would drag that number way, way down.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline marioed

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:30:27 PM
Thanks Paul, the incoming AC line voltage here is 123 V. Sounds like you think I can proceed to the next stage of building the Moreplay, correct? I hope you have a great New Years.

Regards,
Mario

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 04:03:19 PM
Yes you should continue.

Happy New Years.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline marioed

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 04:45:01 AM
Thanks again Paul. As always you are the best.

Regards,
Mario