Kaiju - SpeakerAmp?

hpleung · 1239

Offline hpleung

on: January 18, 2022, 01:33:47 PM
Hi,

I have not built the Kaiju yet - but it is next on my list. I was wondering if the Kaiju could be used to power those hard to drive headphones such as Susvara or 1266? I understand by default it is used to power speakers and not headphone.

Thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 01:40:50 PM
I don't believe the Susvara is all that tough to drive.  30 ohms and 2V of drive certainly isn't going to be available from a smartphone, but the Kaiju and SEX amp will provide that easily, and a Mainline would probably be OK too.  The AB1266 would likely benefit substantially from the power available from the Kaiju, and being able to wire the Kaiju up to 16 ohms would give you some extra output level that you may want with those power hungry cans.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hpleung

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 01:48:57 PM
Thanks Paul. I had the mainline and i just find it a little not loud enough for the Susvara (I have bad habit to listen to very loud level).

To clarify your recommendation - would you recommend using the Kaiju on the Susvara and 1266 (I have both)? I am assuming power wise - it will be more than plenty. Do you think it will be easy to damage those 2 headphones using the Kaiju?

Thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 01:50:06 PM
The 1266 in particular looks like it can suck down a lot of power.  I don't imagine you're going to cause any damage though. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hpleung

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 02:03:16 PM
Plenty of power but not too much power to cause damage. That is Great - Thanks.