volume setting

amitpi · 788

Offline amitpi

on: January 22, 2022, 03:43:33 AM
Hi all,

Very much enjoying my Moreplay, which I use to drive Audio Research CL 60 power amp. I mostly hear with volume knob at around 7-8 o'clock, 9 being almost too loud. What are the options to offset the potentiometer so it could be dialed higher? I know there is an upgrade circuit in the works -- will it also solve this problem?

While at it, does anybody have suggestions/recommendations for upgrading the coupling capacitors? Or will they also be a part of future upgrade and so worth waiting?

Thanks,

Amit 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 05:39:12 AM
About how many degrees of rotation are you currently getting out of the pot? If the channel balance is good at those levels, there's certainly nothing wrong with having the pot turned down lower.

The attenuator upgrade will give nearly perfect channel balance at all levels, but it doesn't substantially change what you're mentioning. 

I do expect to bump up the coupling capacitor size in the process of installing this upgrade.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline amitpi

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 05:58:40 AM
Thanks Paul for the quick response. I'd say 240 degrees is moderate listening volume, and 270 degrees is really loud. Room is fairly small, though. Channel balance is good and sound is great. But was wondering if the relatively short rotation span I'm utilizing on the pot has any tonal effect.

With the attenuator, playing up the volume will be by discrete levels, right? So in practice I will be using 3-4 notches on the attenuator pot. Again, that might be completely fine, but still worth checking.

Looking forward to the upgrade! Any idea when it'll be released?

Thanks again

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 06:26:56 AM
For whatever reason the rotation of a stereo pot doesn't seem to intuitively match up well with positions on the stepped attenuator.  You may find that you've got about 12 steps of useful adjustment and the attenuator does give a really well balanced super low level setting at what would otherwise be mute. 

We have enough Moreplays floating around to work on that upgrade, and as our supply of Electro-switches replenishes we can look into that.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man