• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: December 21, 2022, 05:44:36 PM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mjstealey

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:20:40 AM
Always interesting to see these kinds of practical videos and just how little has really changed when it comes to good soldering technique

- Nice explanation of wetting and the role flux has
- Good illustration of how a cold solder joint can happen (and how to prevent it)

One notable difference though, if the pads on printed circuit boards were still that large I might not have to use my magnifying light-up eyeball enhancers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 11:32:32 AM
Yeah one thing that doesn't really apply any more in the age of tinned and masked boards and tiny pads for thru hole (let alone the fact that we are really in the SMD era and all of this is arcane stuff) is the notion of bending the lead onto the trace and clipping before soldering. I did see a comment somewhere that at some point NASA or the military decided that a solder dome gave a better connection than a fillet on a thru hole pad solder. I suggest a fillet in my soldering video, but perhaps the dome is better. My concern would be that a tyro might think a blobbed joint is a proper dome solder, whereas a fillet definitely means everything got properly heated. And of course our boards these days are pre tinned so the wetting process is already started for you. That kind of demonstrates that 1950s guided missile soldering technique and 2020's tube audio kit soldering technique may diverge here and there. As my cousin Rem who was in charge of 737 maintenance and repair at Boeing used to say when we would be working on some repair project around the house - "we're not building an airplane here".

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.