BeePre 2 out and about

Toobuzz · 789

Offline Toobuzz

on: February 17, 2022, 05:09:29 PM
We recently had hang with local group of audiophiles. The host was very impressed with the BeePre 2 (with 1st upgrade) when he heard it on my Vandersteens, so he asked if I could bring it over.  I always love going to hear this system, Verity Audio Fidelio Encores with the Parasound A21+. 

The task was to compare the Beepre 2 to his Cary SLP-98P (not the phono portion, he was using the Lyric Audio PS-10).  We put on a few different records but mostly we used the AP reissue of Nat King Cole/Nelson Riddle - St. Louis Blues.

I was so smitten with what I heard. Keep in mind that I only started building kits 11 months ago, prior to that I never actually used a soldering iron.  The room was immediately enveloped with a much wider image. The image was also pushed back slightly. But most of all, I couldn’t help but think “this sounds like my system”.  The real proud papa moment was when everyone else agreed. Folks were calling out how much more crisp the trumpets sounded. The trumpets were also more forward (even though the general image was farther away).  The stage was more 3D, for sure.

I just love the 300B sound on a stereo system. The speakers become so detached from what you are hearing (provided you have great room and know how to set stuff up). Folks also commented on this as part of the shootout.

I’m so impressed with what the BeePre 2 can do as a preamp paired with solid state amplification. Oh man, I’m so looking forward to upgrade #2!