C4S Voltages, my mistake, need help [resolved]

MSU586 · 856

Offline MSU586

on: February 28, 2022, 09:58:35 AM
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance in what I screwed up.  Here's the story:

I had a properly functioning and beautifully sounding SEX 3.0 kit.  I then installed the C4S upgrade, and upon checking the voltages I had my multimeter on the wrong setting and touched the OA causing a spark and one of the LEDs to crack and break.
I replaced both the LEDs on channel A, but the voltage is still reading 305V (channel B is just fine with 75V)

Any thoughts on what I might have fried?  Or where I might start checking voltages, etc?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
~Raymond
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 05:14:12 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 11:56:25 AM
You will likely need to replace the LED's and the transistors on that side of the board.  You should be able to check the resistance of the two resistors while they are installed on the board.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MSU586

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 12:21:42 PM
Thanks Paul!
Those resistors are indeed not properly resisting.  Feeling a bit foolish for not testing those immediately; c'est la vie.
I just sent an email to the parts team requesting replacements. 

Should I be concerned with the transistors on that channel as well?  I am not sure how to test these. 

~Raymond

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 01:07:21 PM
Yes, you need to replace the transistors on that half of the C4S board.  I would be surprised if both resistors on the board weren't reading properly.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MSU586

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 04:58:19 AM
All fixed now.  Sounds great! 
Thanks for your help!