Purchase advice for my speaker chain (Crack OTL owner)

smodtactical · 796

Offline smodtactical

I just built my crack otl and using it with hd650 (black silk) and I am absolutely blown away by the sound. It has a very warm euphonic rich sound with a very full seductive midrange. I actually prefer it to my Audio gd he9, elekit tu8600 and ARC ref5se+pass x350.8. Its mind blowing.

Now what I want to do is bring some of that bottlehead sound to my speaker chain. Right now running ATC SCM7s in near field and NS5000s for midfield. Would the moreplay or beepree be good choices if I wanted that warm, spacious holographic sound that the crack OTL is giving me?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 10:31:26 AM
Do you have a Speedball on your Crack?  The preference of Speedball vs. no Speedball would potentially influence my recommendation.

What amplifier are you using for your speakers?  That may or may not also matter.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline smodtactical

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 12:50:12 PM
I don't have speedball but im pretty sure I'd like no speedball as Im chasing emotion and smooth full tone rather than a 'clean' or detailed sound.

My amp is Pass x350.8. I might eventually change my speakers too to something more high sensitivity so I can incorporate more tubes (tube amps).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 02:06:26 PM
The Moreplay is going to be a bit more on the warm side and the BeePre is going to be a bit more clear and detailed.  The Moreplay is a bit easier to build but the BeePre has more upgrade potential.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline smodtactical

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 02:53:05 PM
Thanks!