XLR female jack instead of 1/4"?

TwoThirteen · 1028

Offline TwoThirteen

on: March 25, 2022, 03:06:20 PM
Hey guys,  ;D

New member here, getting used to the forums. I've tried searching up ways to get an XLR female jack in, instead of an 1/4". I've seen lots of options on neutrik's site, and not sure which is right for the Crack. I feel I'm in too deep. I'd prefer to not use an adapter if I can just solder something directly in. Anyone got an old thread to reference or a unit to pick up? I'm trying to (hopefully) find a 90 degree one.

I think I'm close, I went to neutrik's site and selected XLR chassis connectors.
Could someone help me pick the right one out?

Many thanks, 2-13

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 03:09:09 PM
It's really nice on the Crack to have the switching jack that grounds the outputs when no headphones are plugged in. 

In the Crack-a-two-a, the chassis will accept a 4 pin XLR for headphone use more readily, and the output stage is designed a bit differently to come up to operating voltage quite slowly, so that would be a much better option in my opinion.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline TwoThirteen

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 03:14:29 PM
It's really nice on the Crack to have the switching jack that grounds the outputs when no headphones are plugged in. 

In the Crack-a-two-a, the chassis will accept a 4 pin XLR for headphone use more readily, and the output stage is designed a bit differently to come up to operating voltage quite slowly, so that would be a much better option in my opinion.

An adapter it is then! Looking for a 90 degree one in that case it should be easier to find. Any recommendations welcomed.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 03:15:00 PM
Are your headphones cabled for 4 pin XLR?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline TwoThirteen

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 03:25:05 PM
yea
Are your headphones cabled for 4 pin XLR?

Not exactly but my spendy Cardas audio cable is miniXLR to 4pinXLR :/

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 03:30:52 PM
So you're already using an adapter ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Mucker

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 06:28:53 PM
Edit: My apologies. I am going to scrap presenting my plan here because my Crack is an old build from 2014 and I don't care to cause confusion between the old and new versions. It appears there are grounding wire routing differences between the old and new kits. I am still going to do the jack swap but it doesn't make sense to present it here.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:57:06 PM by Mucker »

Offline TwoThirteen

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 12:42:14 AM
Mucker  :D I'm curious too if anyone else has done something like this to their Crack and if anyone would execute it any differently. I really hope you try it if people collectively think it to be a sound diagram. It has to be a cleaner signal path than using an adapter. I'm 100% next in line.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:48:20 AM by TwoThirteen »

Offline Mucker

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 04:05:12 PM
I was able to swap my Neutrik TRS jack with a Neutrik XLR today. All is very well. Bye bye adapter and popping is completely eliminated when plugging and unplugging with volume at zero.

The change was challenging as I needed to do all the work with the old Speedball boards unbolted but still wired. Room was minimum. But, I took my time and told myself not to swear (at myself) like I usually always do. "YOU - DUMB - #$@&" is the goto phrase.

I rerouted the volume pot ground directly to T12 as shown. The XLR ground lug was not used. I needed to add two black wires for pins 2 and 4 that routed back to T3. Lastly, I used 2.2K resistors instead of 2.49K because that is the closest value I had.

It was absolutely worth it for me. Amp is dead quiet. It is so nice to plug the cable directly into the amp and I love XLR connectors. Anyway .....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:14:00 AM by Mucker »

Offline joralieu

Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 04:28:56 PM
I have been wanting to put a 4 pin XLR into my Crack. Mine is the newest version, would the wiring be the same ?

Offline Mucker

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 06:51:13 PM
My Crack was from 2014 and the ground wiring is slightly different but overall similar.

With the new kit you just have to add a single black wire from the XLR jack to T3 since there is already one black wire in between. Pins 2 and 4 need a wire going back to T3.

The black wire from T12 would need to be extended to the volume pot lug with the black wires connected.

The resistor mounting would be similar.

Be aware that there will be limited room to work if you have Speedball and adding a wire to T3 may require some de-soldering.

Also beware that the red and white wire lengths must be long enough to reach pins 1 and 3.

I believe that is all that needs to be done. Anyone can feel free to correct me if there is a better way.

Also, a 15/16 inch hole must be drilled. A stepped drill bit at slow speed cuts good but makes a lot of shavings so you have to think about containing them.

Offline Mucker

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 01:36:35 PM
I just finished building a new Crack without Speedball. I installed an XLR jack right from the get go instead of the TRS jack. It was straight forward and went well.

2 black wires from the jack to T3 L and one from 12L to T3 L (other side). ......... 4 wires total go into T3 L when doing this but it is possible with some patience.

Amp is dead quiet and is amazing with no speedball. Either way is going to be an excellent experience.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 03:53:04 PM by Mucker »

Offline TwoThirteen

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 05:52:32 PM
So cool!!!