Step up AC power transformer tips

Frank Breech · 449

Offline Frank Breech

on: May 24, 2022, 02:40:54 AM
Hello Bottlehead Family,

I’ve recently moved to Tokyo (Japan) and brought my bottlehead gear with me. This includes a Seduction, FPIII, Crack, and an 8.5 watt Paramount monoblock pair. All stock. I also have a pair of Jaegers (unbuilt), possibly the world’s most expensive pair considering the cost to ship them home in the US, then abroad, after deciding to move. (Also have an un built EROS2, which I impulse bought due to the universal power supply).

I’ve gotten through “quarantine” and various other hurdles over the past three months. My bottlehead gear, shipped via sea mail, has finally arrived.

I’ve been investigating AC StepUp transformers and found myself overwhelmed with poorly translated <3 star reviews. Is there anyone out there who can help with some recommendations based on the gear I’ll be using? 

Thanks in advance
Michael

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 04:08:11 AM
You could buy a 100:20V power transformer with the 20V winding rated for about 5A, then wire that up as a booster for your system.  You would need to package it properly and plug all your gear into it, but it will cost less and weigh less than an actual step-up transformer.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Frank Breech

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 02:03:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. This sounds like a fun little project. I'll need some advice for sure, if I end up doing it. It looks like Mouser has a Japan specific site, which is cool. I don't have any tools for building any kind of chassis at the moment (sold/donated/gave away most of my possessions before moving here a few months ago). Today I noticed that there are outlets near the ceiling in this apartment (for the wall mount air conditioners). They have ground pins and the decora plates say "20A-125v".  Seems almost too good to be true. It's a disaster in here now, but I do think I know where my MM is, so I'll be able to test this for sure.

Any other Bottleheads out there who are in, or have been in, Japan dealing with the same thing?

thanks
Michael