Greetings, what should I start with?

pmpski_1 · 955

Offline pmpski_1

on: April 10, 2022, 07:09:01 AM
Hello! I want to build a kit, what do you suggest for a complete newb?

I've built some speaker kits and can follow instructions. I can solder, do woodwork, 3D print, paint, write code, do basic non-structural welding... I have general all around DIY skills. I DO NOT have in-depth electrical skills. I can read a schematic and complete a kit, no problem, but building something from a parts bin on my own is above my level. I would rather build something than just buy it, and I've found that kits are a good way to learn and end up with something that works and fulfills my desire to say "Yep, I built it".

I have a turntable, some DIY speakers (kits from Parts Express), and a bunch of records. I do like to play my music on the louder side, but not always, because I share my home with a family that doesn't have a deep appreciation of the fine punk and metal records that I have. Not interested in listening on headphones.

So what kit should I start with?

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:23:46 AM
The SEX kit is one of my all-time favorites having built nearly everything in the current lineup. Easy enough to build, sounds great. Beyond that you could either stay on the integrated amp path with the stereomour, which I also really love, or you could start breaking into components with the Monomour preamp and a power amp.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 08:09:40 AM
How efficient are your speakers?  SET amps like high efficiency speakers.

The Moreplay is a nice way to get into kit building,  in my opinion.  It is easy to build and sounds great. Or, higher up the chain is the BeePre  2.

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline pmpski_1

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 08:46:08 AM
How efficient are your speakers?  SET amps like high efficiency speakers.

I'm not sure how to answer this, still learning. The current set of speakers that I'm building are the Classix II from PartsExpress. I'll admit that I chose these more from recommendations and reviews than specs. I was looking for bookshelf speakers that would probably do ok without a sub, as I'm short on space. My current setup is a Pioneer SX-525 that has been in the family since before I was born. I haven't finished the speakers yet, so I don't even know how this setup will sound, and the last time I played a record with this receiver was probably in the early 80s.

I can't post links to specs, maybe because my account is still new, but here are the specs from the speakers:

Dayton Audio DC160-8 6-1/2" Classic Woofer -
Impedance   8Ω
Frequency Response   30 to 4,000Hz
Sensitivity   86.1dB 2.83V/1m

Peerless by Tymphany BC25TG15-04 1" Silk Dome Tweeter -
Impedance   4Ω
Frequency Response   1,100 to 20,000Hz
Sensitivity   93.2dB 2.83V/1m

That being said, I'm not opposed to building another set of speakers, well, because why not?

Also, something that came to mind - I'm in the Seattle area and would be willing to meet up with someone and pay or trade for their time to help me get started with some basic mentoring. I'm definitely not an expert at anything in particular, but could work something out.

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 11:54:17 AM
Seems to me that the speakers you are building are on the low side of things as far as sensitivity goes. SET amps like the S.E.X. at only 2 watts/channel work best with speakers having a sensitivity above about 94 db at 2.83 V/1m. You might get by with less for near field listening at moderate volumes, I think. The Bottlehead Jager speakers work great, and are another kit you could build.

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 01:06:42 PM
Depends on what you are focusing on.  If you love your speakers, BH amps will work but you won't be able to drive them to loud volumes. Most of us have higher efficiency speakers with SET amps.  A nice preamp ahead of an amp with more power would be great.  I'm a big fan of the BeePre and love the sound. In the past I've used it with a SS amp and it worked well.  The Moreplay could work well also and allows for plenty of affordable tube rolling.

Since you have a vinyl rig already, BH has wonderful phono stages. I use two Eros in my two systems.  It's not the easiest first kit to build but if you're patient, it's work the effort.

You could consider adding a headphone amp to your system for those times you want to keep things a little quieter.  The Crack is an easy first kit and you can mod the heck out if it by reading through the hundreds of pages of posts.  I have a C2A and love it with HD800 headphones.

The Jager speakers and the best kit built speaker I've heard.  I'll have a pair in my system in the next year or so.  No matter what you choose you will get the most responsive and helpful assistance from this forum. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 03:31:56 PM
I'm out in Renton if you need specific help with your kit or if you get stuck.  The Classix won't play super loudly, but if you're in a small space and not sitting far from the speaker, that really may not be much of an issue with a 2W amp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man