Crackatwoa bass roll off as a preamp

larcenasb · 1235

Offline larcenasb

on: April 06, 2022, 04:53:11 AM
Hello all,

Many years ago I found this chart (attached) on the Crack forums showing the bass roll-off when using different sized (uF) output caps with a variety of headphone impedances.

But if using the Crackatwoa as a preamp (with a 1/4"-to-RCAs cable) going into a solid-state power amp and 8-ohm speakers, how will that affect bass roll-off? Will 100uF output caps still be recommended, or can lower values be used and still get deep bass?

I've been long wanting a Crackatwoa and am now planning my system with it as the control center. Thanks for any help.

Lowell B.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 05:33:23 AM
Yes, if for example the load is 10Kohms then you would be fine with 2uF (as used in the Moreplay. Just don't plug in a headphone!

Paul Joppa

Offline larcenasb

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:40:31 AM
Oh, interesting! Thanks so much for your reply, Paul. :) I want to be able to switch between 600-ohm headphones and preamp duties, so I'll stick with 68uF or greater.

I got it, as a preamp the extra microfarads won't hurt anything, it's just massive overkill in that application. Thanks so much for clarifying and hope all's well with you. Always nice to hear from you on the forums. :)

Lowell B.