Help buying records online

aragorn723 · 634

Offline aragorn723

on: May 02, 2022, 03:28:19 PM
Hi,

I don't usually buy records online, but was wondering if maybe someone here buys a lot?  I found a record I'm looking for, but there is no grade (VG, VG +, etc).  They claim it was played "maybe once.". Would you buy it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144417154698?hash=item219feee68a:g:tCsAAOSwPUxiCquO

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 01:37:47 AM
Yes. You could try an offer? Cover looks good. Doesn't relate to the condition of the record except that it doesn't look as if it has been handled much.

Offline kgoss

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 04:59:04 AM
The description says it is in NM (Near Mint) condition and the seller has a lot of good feedback.  I wouldn't worry about buying it.

Ken Goss

Offline snoozzell

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 05:11:00 AM
I agree that this seller seems like they should be good.

for online record buying I highly recommend www.discogs.com

as long as you stick to VG+ or better quality you should be happy (anything lower than VG+ means there will be audible issues on the disc)

Offline Mucker

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 05:19:51 AM
Agree, Discogs is the place to buy online used vinyl. Amazon warehouse deals may be good too with the 30 day return policy.

If you can find "play graded" in the description, that is usually better than visual grading. I recently received an LP that looked pristine but the noise was unbearable. And vise versa had not so great looking vinyl play great. It's really a crap shoot IMO. Using a seller with a return policy is a good way to go especially on a pricey LP.

I would have no problem at all buying the vinyl you linked. "Near mint" @ $13 is worth the risk.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 05:22:08 AM by Mucker »

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 06:16:48 AM
Discogs is hit-or-miss. I got a "near mint" copy of an Orpheus album that was scratched to hell and back with a destroyed sleeve. Left neutral feedback saying the grading was a little optimistic and the seller went ballistic. Moral of the story is that it's important to read seller feedback on these sites and just know that these ratings are somewhat subjective.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 06:18:26 AM
Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to check out disccogs for sure.  Wound up placing the order.  There's nothing like good vinyl to listen to!

Dave

Offline Mucker

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 03:47:39 PM
I usually clean all used vinyl I buy regardless of the condition. I use a relatively cheap spin clean from Amazon but have been tempted to buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

Parks Audio has a phono preamp called a Puffin that has a record grading function. It's really cool. I attached a pic of a table made by a user who compared LP's before and after cleaning using an ultrasonic cleaner. I'd say those are impressive results.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 04:00:22 PM
That's a great idea.  I have a stack of vinyl that needs cleaning (vertically stored of course  8)) so I'll probably wash all of those plus the new one together.  Got a new Diana Krall record a few months ago, and that was easily the dirtiest in my collection.

I've been using the spin clean too, usually with pretty good results.  Been tempted by the idea of ultrasonic cleaning too, I have a few records that get stuck in one spot sometimes and no amount of brushing or using the spin clean will clear it, though sometimes those records play fine.  Go figure.  Wish I had a friend with an ultrasonic cleaner who could wash those for me and see if they can be fixed up.  Know anyone in the Atlanta area ? ::)

Dave

Offline Mucker

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 07:44:23 PM
eBay has them. May or may not be worth it depending on the amount of vinyl one has.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273591962180

Offline aragorn723

Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 12:30:24 AM
Not a bad price.  I probably have around 30-40 records.  Maybe not worth it yet.