S.E.X. 3.0 Kit: No sound in right headphone driver

Jet · 862

Offline Jet

I just finished assembling the S.E.X. 3.0 kit, everything has passed resistance and voltage checks yet there isn't any sound in the right headphone driver.

Things I've tried:
Swapping the tubes and there is still no sound in the right driver.
Two different sources and with both there was no sound from the right driver.
Using different RCA input cables and that didn't solve the issue either.
Different pairs of headphones and the issue is still there so it can't be that a driver has gone bad.
Removing excess solder from the right RCA pin, still didn't help.

Any help at all is much appreciated and I have an image of my wiring attached, thanks.

Jet Spear

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 12:36:00 PM
It might be an artifact of the photograph angle, but it looks to me like there's a bare wire connecting terminal 5 to terminal 10 on the A side output transformer.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline ccmccull

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 12:41:55 PM
I also see some insulation melted off one of the brown/white wires connected to term 6 on the side A OT. I wonder if you're getting contact between that and the solid brown wire. Photos at different angles of that OT would help.

(Those are just a couple of things I noticed, so I thought I'd chime in since it's the weekend. The BH folks will give you much better diagnostic advice.)

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Jet

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 12:54:49 PM
Thanks for the speedy response!

I checked the picture I provided and I see what you mean with terminals 5 and 10 on the A side output transformer but in reality there is no wire connecting them.
Maybe that melted insulation could be an issue, this has been my first time soldering in many years after all :).

I've also attached a better picture of the A side output transformer.

Jet Spear

Offline ccmccull

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 01:57:38 PM
ah that looks better!

One more thing i noticed: some melted insulation on the orange / white wire after the pot, before terminal 9 and the A side tube. So I'd wonder if you've made orange/white to solid orange contact there.

Anyway, I'll leave it to the BH experts from here.

Colin

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 02:44:06 PM
The connections at T6 and T7 of the right channel output transformer do look a little suspect. Might be worth going over those joints to make sure there is no rosin or melted plastic creating a cold joint.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jet

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 04:30:29 PM
Thanks for the support Doc!

I touched up those joints and now the kit is running beautifully.

Much appreciated ;D

Jet Spear