Mhdt Orchid

Toys4Boys · 4571

Offline Toys4Boys

on: September 02, 2023, 01:46:23 PM
Reading through older posts, debk, and was intrigued with the Mhdt Orchid and am wondering if it is still a top recommendation in this price range. Also experiences building one and with the company?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 01:47:54 PM by Toys4Boys »

Offline debk

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 04:58:34 AM
I am very happy with the DAC and have had no problem with it.

However, it is not a kit.  Would be fun if it was.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Toys4Boys

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 09:44:35 AM
I am very happy with the DAC and have had no problem with it.

However, it is not a kit.  Would be fun if it was.

Deb

D'Oh! Been looking at too many and confused things, agreed too bad they don't offer a kit. Need to upgrade the sound from my Bluesound Node, vinyl is my main source, but... ::) One of the concerns that I have is that I have found mixed results taking a digital out of some products, such as a Meridian CD player, I've assumed it was related to what the units use in their digital output. Perhaps you or one of the other knowledgeable forum members could add some insights?

I am also looking at the Innuo Pulsmini, which combines a well reviewed DAC with a streamer, and as I am in the industry I might be able to get one for a good price?

Still the Orchid is very tempting and from I've read it can put some 'meat' on the bones of my digital files.

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 08:33:10 AM
I have owned an MHDT Orchid for about a year now. DebK had commented on how she thought it was great and I figured she knew what good quality audio sounds like! She was right! I am very pleased with it.
Cheers,
Don

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Toys4Boys

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 02:51:59 PM
I have owned an MHDT Orchid for about a year now. DebK had commented on how she thought it was great and I figured she knew what good quality audio sounds like! She was right! I am very pleased with it.
Cheers,
Don
What were you using previously?

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 11:59:52 PM
I had the Bottlehead DAC and in my other system I have a ANK audio kit DAC

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 03:11:12 AM
I had an older MHDT Paradisea dac and it sounded really good. It would lead me to think the orchid would be a winner. Currently I like the Wavelength DAC's. They are a bit pricey for me so have picked up a Brick and Cosecant used. They are in the same ballpark sonic wise to me as the bottlehead dac. I do love the sonore optical rendu as a streamer...

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Toys4Boys

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 01:50:17 AM
I had an older MHDT Paradisea dac and it sounded really good. It would lead me to think the orchid would be a winner. Currently I like the Wavelength DAC's. They are a bit pricey for me so have picked up a Brick and Cosecant used. They are in the same ballpark sonic wise to me as the bottlehead dac. I do love the sonore optical rendu as a streamer...
Thanks for the response, don't seem to be any of the Wavelength DACs used available. I'll keep an eye out as they appear to be the type of sonic signature I am looking for at a price I can justify.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 07:03:57 AM
Audiomart has a couple and Reverb has a Brick

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Toys4Boys

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 10:49:38 AM
Audiomart has a couple and Reverb has a Brick
Tempted to make an offer, but just bought a few new toys including the Eros, probably should at least build that a enjoy for a while.  :'(