PSU Voltage Check Failed

indyjer · 776

Offline indyjer

on: May 09, 2022, 09:47:00 AM
Well, I didn't get very far before needing to use the "phone a friend" option... I've assembled up to the PSU board voltage checks and can't get a reading at the 6.3vDC  or 275vDC. I used alligator clips at first and the reading would jump around and never settle on anything. After researching similar posts here, I decided my novice solder joints were probably the issue. I re-flowed everything and still no good readings. I even soldered some jumper wires to the board to get the DMM clips on a good connection. I get 0.00 readout at both locations and now I'm hunting for clues... I'm thinking I've overcompensated for cold joints by overheating something and burning it out. How long is too long to leave a 675F iron on a joint? And any tips for identifying what, if anything, I fried? I have good, stable readings at T7/T9 and T11/T12.

Pictures noted below... any suggestions on where to focus on finding the issue?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 09:53:54 AM by indyjer »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:03:27 AM
How about a picture of your meter hooked up to the board attempting to grab one of those measurements?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline indyjer

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:45:41 AM
Thanks Paul, here's test photos as it stands now with my jumper wires on the outputs.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:47:00 AM
Your meter is set to AC volts, that's what the ~ means on the screen.  If you tap the SEL button, it should change to DC, which would pop up a symbol that is a dashed line above a solid line.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline indyjer

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 10:58:34 AM
LOL. thanks, Paul, readings are dead-on now.

I'll gladly be the eye-roll subject around the office today in exchange for this issue not being more severe than my own lack of knowledge. And I'll add "read the DMM manual" to my to-do list...