Repairing a Loose Tube Base?

BenjaminSmith · 574

Offline BenjaminSmith

• Cadence
on: July 12, 2022, 11:59:33 AM
I received two 150C1 tubes from Britain, Mullard NOS. One is perfect and the other has a very loose base.  I haven't tested that tube, but assuming the wiring is intact is there a way to perhaps epoxy pot the base?  I cannot see it surviving even one removal from the octal Euro socket (there's very little of the base showing to grip when removing from socket.)  Opinions?

Toys in no particular order:
1975 BMW 2002
Sony A7RIII
Martin Logan SL3/Meridian transport/Bel Canto DAC & power
Cain&Cain Abbys S/Ns 001 and 002

Offline lms

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:39:22 PM

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 04:03:28 PM
A twelve minute video about putting a drop of super glue in the tube base. Thankfully one can scrub thru a youtube.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline lms

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:50:29 PM
LOL, that's themtube for ya.

Offline BenjaminSmith

• Cadence
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 04:56:49 PM
funny in that I just received a message from the seller offering profuse apologies but no remedy.  Then he said do not ever use superglue as it'll cause the glass to crack.  He suggested shellac instead.  Back to the youtube drawing board :)

Toys in no particular order:
1975 BMW 2002
Sony A7RIII
Martin Logan SL3/Meridian transport/Bel Canto DAC & power
Cain&Cain Abbys S/Ns 001 and 002

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 05:19:35 PM
funny in that I just received a message from the seller offering profuse apologies but no remedy.  Then he said do not ever use superglue as it'll cause the glass to crack.  He suggested shellac instead.  Back to the youtube drawing board :)
I have used super glue as an excellent repair on loose bases for 20 years. I have never had a problem and it is quite discreet.
Regards,
Don

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters