left channel suddenly out of balance [resolved]

kill_surf_city · 3595

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2022, 06:27:30 AM
It is incredibly improbable that every single transistor on that board is fried, and that's not reflected in your voltage measurements.  It may just work out best in this situation to use our repair service so I can fix this for you.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2022, 05:44:35 AM
Yes, the pins of the transistors and regulators are the leads that are poking through the bottom of the PC board.

?

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 05:52:44 AM
It is incredibly improbable that every single transistor on that board is fried, and that's not reflected in your voltage measurements.  It may just work out best in this situation to use our repair service so I can fix this for you.

Darn okay. Thanks for helping Paul.

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 03:02:09 PM

Hey PB, I went ahead and just reordered the shunt regulator board since that was where the problem seemed to lie. I just rebuilt it tonight and turned it on. Voltage on side A is 229v and on side B it's 221v. Both are within range, but not identical. Could this be a potential problem? I just wanted to double check with you before I went ahead and reconnected the C4S board.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #34 on: July 23, 2022, 03:18:06 PM
That is likely more of a resistance tolerance thing.  How are the Kreg voltages?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #35 on: July 23, 2022, 03:23:01 PM
That is likely more of a resistance tolerance thing.  How are the Kreg voltages?

side A is 1.93v

side B is 1.92v

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #36 on: July 23, 2022, 03:29:14 PM
That is still not working properly and those voltages tend to suggest that you may have solder bridges on the PC board, parts swapped, or miswired jumpers.  Possibly the Kreg wires or OA/OB wires could also be swapped.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #37 on: July 23, 2022, 03:32:25 PM
That is still not working properly and those voltages tend to suggest that you may have solder bridges on the PC board, parts swapped, or miswired jumpers.  Possibly the Kreg wires or OA/OB wires could also be swapped.

what would a solder bridge look like?

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #38 on: July 23, 2022, 03:45:41 PM

here's the top and bottom of the board. I can't see any issues. What do you think?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: July 24, 2022, 03:56:51 AM
Can I see what the D socket looks like with that board pulled out?  I do see one solder joint on one of the PN2907s that doesn't look 100%, but nothing else that's obvious.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #40 on: July 24, 2022, 10:35:27 AM
Can I see what the D socket looks like with that board pulled out?  I do see one solder joint on one of the PN2907s that doesn't look 100%, but nothing else that's obvious.

sure thing. I'll reflow that PN2907 as well.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #41 on: July 24, 2022, 11:06:26 AM
Other than the wire leaving D5 being improperly routed, I don't see any issues.  At this point things like non-electronics solder and flux start to pop up as possibilities for creating the issues you're experiencing.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #42 on: July 24, 2022, 11:12:44 AM
Other than the wire leaving D5 being improperly routed, I don't see any issues.  At this point things like non-electronics solder and flux start to pop up as possibilities for creating the issues you're experiencing.

okay, the one that goes through D5 and into D4?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2022, 11:18:32 AM
Yes.  This isn't going to be the cause of your problems, but rather something that may cause problems down the road.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #44 on: July 24, 2022, 11:30:28 AM
Yes.  This isn't going to be the cause of your problems, but rather something that may cause problems down the road.

Oh okay. What do I need to change?  Also, as for the solder I'm using it is 60/40 rosin core. Made by Cookson Electronics. It is however a bit thicker than what I used on my crack, but to be honest that actually made the soldering easier for me.