Crack LEDs don't light up...

Dr. Soot · 494

Offline Dr. Soot

• "Don't be so open minded your brains fall out"
on: July 10, 2022, 09:42:22 AM
Hello, I just completed my first Crack build and I was performing the final voltage check.  I have two voltages significantly out of range and my LEDs are not lighting up, so I thought I would post to see if someone can help.  The voltages I measured are in the attached image.

Points 1, 5, 7, and 9 are the issue (all of them should be in the 50-100 V range and all are about 170 V), along with the LEDs.

Many thanks in advance,

Soot

Cheers,

Pedro

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 10:31:09 AM
Can you post some build photos?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Dr. Soot

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 11:04:09 AM
Yes, here it is and thank you for the super quick reply.  I think I may have actually sorted it out.  When I originally measured the Powerline Transformer voltage, I think I messed up and read like 50V or something.  So I followed the "less than 115V diagram".  But I was not confident in that measurement, so I removed that hookup and measured it again and got 118V.  So I rewired it for the "more than 115V" and not all the voltages check out.  Plus, I tried it and it sounds amazing.  But I am attaching my wiring just to be sure.

Soot

Cheers,

Pedro

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 11:58:31 AM
The voltage problem you had would have me inspecting the green twisted pair of wires running to each socket, and also looking to be sure the tubes are glowing.  Also check that the black wires on the headphone jack are both captured by solder.

Do also keep an eye on that Alps Blue pot.  When you solder wires directly to the pins oftentimes the pins will break off. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Dr. Soot

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 01:32:19 AM
Thank you kindly!  Will do.

Cheers,

Pedro