Manual Updates?

thibodeaux · 632

Offline thibodeaux

on: August 30, 2022, 04:01:03 PM
In a post from last year (quoted below) several parts of the manual were stated to be incorrect and Doc B. mentioned that he would review and update the manual if necessary. I am in the process of my Moreplay build and noticed that the sections noted are still as they were. Not sure whether or not I should follow the directions as written, or note these as potential issues...

Please advise.

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first build ever. I did a few soldering practice kits to learn the basics, then followed the amazing Moreplay manual word-for-word. I passed all the resistance and voltage tests, plugged it in between my Shiit Mani and Vidar, layed down Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (obviously!) on the Orbit, and fired it up. Whoa! It’s true that it does sound better when you build it yourself!

To contribute to the community, here are a few small notes I took on the manual. As a beginner at this, I read this document so closely that I can guarantee with these small edits it will be absolutely perfect!

I'm definitely addicted.

-Colin

P. 35: I found the ¼ inch leads on the caps are a little tight to allow for bending them all the way to vertical. You could maybe have a tip here that the lead should be long enough to allow bending vertically.

P. 38: typo. “270 uF 350V electrolytic capacitor” should read “220 uF ...”

P. 38: 280V - 320VDC range. Mine read 329VDC, but I suspect that’s because my mains are at 124VAC. All my voltage tests after the full build were in range.

P. 44: I don’t think the instructions ever say to solder the six 0.1 uF 100V Z5U caps to the two chassis ground solder lugs. But they are clearly soldered in the photos after this page.

P. 51: “Attach and solder the other end to the lower rear lung on the balance potentiometer”. I don’t know if the “and solder” is a typo, but you do have to attach two more wires to this lug later on P. 53, so it made it awkward for me to have the first one soldered in.

P. 51: “Attach and solder the other end to the lower forward lug of the balance potentiometer”. I don’t think it should say “solder” here since you still have to attach the 33 kOhm resistor to that lug on the next page.

P. 57: In the second paragraph it says that the resistance between terminal 23 and the ground tab near the transformer should be 0 ohms, but I’m sure it should say 22 ohms.

P. 57: A3, A4, B3, and B4 resistances are listed at OL, but I’m sure they should be marked *.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 04:50:13 PM
It is correct that I have not carved out the time to do the edits to the Moreplay manual tat you have reposted here. So do use the guidance that has been posted in the forum regarding corrections. I will try to get to that project in the next couple of weeks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 02:37:12 PM
Just want to let you all know I am working on this tonight. I think I have corrected all of the typos that have been noted in the forum including a couple not mentioned in this thread. Sorry for taking so long to get to it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline thibodeaux

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 04:38:31 PM
Awesome - Thanks Doc!