Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

Near field use on 87db speakers in a masive room.

(1/13) > >>

currly30:
Looking at getting the Kaiju to run my near field speaker set up on ~87db speakers. My desk is currently set up in one corner of the room. To give a ruff measurements: The fronts of the speakers would be about 6' away from a wall. The backs would be about 30' from a wall. Left side about 5' and right side about 25'. Also the ceiling is 9' high above the desk then take a sharp incline to 14'.  Basically I'm wondering if, in my very unique room situation, the kaiju would be enough for near field use. I am currently using a 75watt SMSL amp and it gets plenty loud. I have it set at about half volume then use my pre-amp to fine control the volume.

currly30:
Also, a second question. Is it possible to use 2a3 tubes in the Kaiju? Or would it require rewiring the Kaiju?

Paul Birkeland:
For desktop use, the Kaiju would definitely be plenty of power.  We have had many customers in the past use our 2W SEX amp with 87dB desktop speakers for this use.  If your speakers are 8 ohms, you can get out your multimeter and set it to AC volts, then open up a tone generator app and play a 60Hz tone through your speakers until you see 8V on your meter.  That would represent 8W and the Kaiju still has some dynamic headroom beyond that.

The Kaiju is not at all optimized for 2A3 tubes and you would have to replace the power transformer and redesign the circuit to make that work, at which point you'd end up pretty close to a Stereomour.   

currly30:
Thank you the info. I will have to try out putting 8w through my speakers to see how loud they get.

Doc B.:
They will put out 96dB at 8W. You will find that pretty loud for a continuous tone. Typically an amp only gets anywhere near its maximum output on transients like drum hits, dynamic piano, etc. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version