Subwoofer question?

Mucker · 789

Offline Mucker

on: July 31, 2022, 08:40:14 AM
I have a pair of SVS PB12-NSD sub-woofers and interested to try a single one for now with the Moreplay. I attached a pic of the control plate and want to ask how to hook it up. I am assuming I can use the second pair of RCA outs on the Moreplay and run them into the 'low level" pair of RCA IN on the sub. Then, use the filter controls on the sub. Do I have that right? And, if that works, can I then use splitters to add the second sub? Thank yu.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 09:44:43 AM by Mucker »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 09:49:51 AM
If you want both channels playing in both subs run both channels into line in on one sub, then run cables from line out on that sub to line in on the other sub. Alternatively you can just run the right channel output from the Moreplay to line in on one sub and the left channel output of the Moreplay to line in on the other sub. If your subs are set up symmetrically with your main speakers this might be the best choice. If your subs are in asymmetrical positions for the best bass balance in the room you might want to use the first method.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ccmccull

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 09:55:38 AM
Doc beat me to it! So I'll just just add a couple of points:

If you want to use the high-pass functionality of the sub(s), you can route RCA cables as moreplay out -> sub low level in -> sub high pass out -> main amp in. This will remove the lowest frequencies for your main speakers. Some people like to do this when using small bookshelf speakers. You really have to try it both ways to figure out which configuration you like best.

And btw, in the following post PB recommends, in the case of running long sub cables, to hook up the sub cables to the outputs closest to the transformer.

https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=13752.msg125545#msg125545

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Mucker

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 10:31:35 AM
Awesome info! Thanks Doc and ccmccull, really appreciate it!

Offline Mucker

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 05:01:20 PM
Alright, progress, thanks to you guys putting it in layman's terms. The SVS manual wasn't much help. I chose for now to go the high-pass route because of cable restraints. (didn't have a long enough pair to run sub to sub. I will try that route when I get some cables made up).

What I did do is run a right RCA cable from the Moreplay to the sub right low level IN and then cable out of the right sub high pass to the right RCA of amp. And then did the same for the left side. After playing with the sub gain and setting the high pass to about 140 Hz, everything is sounding damn fine! The RF-7ii never sounded better and the Moreplay just smokin' great with the 6V6Y metal tubes!

I attached a couple of diagrams showing measured performance of the sub and RF-7ii's.

Thanks for the help guys. Getting the best out of my gear now.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 05:17:17 PM by Mucker »

Offline ccmccull

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 05:19:16 PM
Glad to help! But the way, usually the dial on the sub is for the upper end of the low pass filter. The high pass output is usually fixed to around 80 hz
 You'll have to consult the manual for the actual value of the high pass filter on this model.

Colin
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > S.E.X. > {{Spendor_S3/5r2 & SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & Grado_sr325x}

Offline Mucker

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 05:23:55 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks for that info. I will see if the manual says anything. The RF-7ii doesn't start rolling off until about 50 Hz so should be good to go.

Edit: Just found what you said in the manual:

Using the High Pass Outputs will send all frequencies above 80Hz with a -12 dB per octave slope
to the power amplifier for your speakers.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 05:26:53 PM by Mucker »

Offline ccmccull

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 05:55:52 PM
Considering the ability of those Klipsch's to go down to
below 50 hz, you may like it better to connect to the sub line out rather than the high pass out. Would be a fun experiment.

Colin

Offline Mucker

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 07:00:26 PM
Yeah, I will keep messing with it. Off to a good start though, thanks for the help!

Offline Mucker

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 07:37:18 PM
OK, now that I "kind of know what is going on", here is where I am at. It is just as Doc said. I have the first pair of RCA outs from the Moreplay going directly into the power amp. The second pair (closest to transformer) .... left out going to left sub low level IN, right out going to right sub low level IN.

I have the gain and frequency on the subs where it sounds very natural and blending in with the mains nicely. The subs and speakers are all symmetrically laid out, so that helps. It's all done by ear and no meter. Will keep dialing it in but right now sounds excellent.

The subs really thicken the audio, the bass quality is excellent from these SVS units.

TY!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:03:12 PM by Mucker »