Other Gear > Speakers

Can I use this powered subwoofer with Sex 3.0? No high level speaker outputs

(1/4) > >>

Big Bamboo:
Hi,

I finished my Sex 3.0 and hooked it up to some Energy Take 5 speakers which I happened to have. These are small 2-way bass reflex speakers with 88db efficacy rating. I am using them in near field as computer speakers. They are plenty loud and sound pretty good.

I have an Energy ES-8 powered sub and thought about hooking that up to provide better bass.

But, when I went to hook it up, I realized the sub has high level speaker inputs but no high-level speaker outputs.

I saw an article which showed how to get around this if the amp has a second "B" speaker terminal, which of course the Sex 3.0 doesn't have.

So, is there a way to utilize this sub or do I need to go searching for one that has both high level inputs and outputs?

Thanks,
John

Paul Birkeland:
Just run a second set of speakers cables to the sub.

Big Bamboo:
Thank you.

So in other words I’d be running two speakers (sub and mains) in parallel off each channel by attaching two wires at each of the four speaker terminals.

I wasn’t sure if that might deleteriously change the impedance load on the Sex amp.

I’m currently using banana plugs which I like because they look tidy, and are easy to plug in and out. If I want to hook up two sets of wires I guess I’d have to use the bare wire terminals, instead of the banana plugs.

I was trying to think about ways I could still use the banana plugs and split it in to two wires  "downstream". I was curious whether they made splitters for this, which might be more elequent and easier than making my own.

I really appreciate your time.

John

Paul Birkeland:
Yes, you just have to run two pieces of cable.  The load on the speaker jacks of the subwoofer plate amp is probably something around 10,000 ohms, and that in parallel with a speaker will still look like an 8 ohm load to the SEX amp.

Putting bare wire into the binding posts is the way to go to get this done. 

ccmccull:
I also connect bare wire and a banana plug to the same binding post in several places in my speaker chain. Just tighten the nut down on the bare wire like usual then push the banana plug into the center of the nut. Works like a charm. Let me know if you want a picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version