B7 and B8 too close?

MilderER · 432

Offline MilderER

on: September 21, 2022, 05:29:02 PM
Hi! I'm wiring the octal socket and finding the terminals to have a lot of give. I assume this is normal, but when I attached green wires to B7 and B8 it pushed the terminals quite close together--much closer than they appear in the manual photo. I don't think I bent the terminals when I was attaching the wires, but what do I know. It looks like my next step is to attach a second wire to each of those terminals, and I'm worried I'm headed for quite a mess. What should I do? Should I try to detach the wires and reattach them in a way that forces the terminals apart? (I'm not even sure this'll be possible with the amount of wire I've got to work with.) Help!

-Jonathan

Jonathan M

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 05:55:36 PM
The terminals float to a degree in the base. First try inserting the tube to see how they will look in operation. Them go ahead and attach the second set of wires,  careful prep, tight crimping and trimming of any excess Leeds will probably do it and if  necessary you can gently bend the terminals apart to get a little gap...John

John Scanlon

Offline MilderER

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 04:06:37 PM
Thanks, John! Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I tried inserting the tube and it fit just fine. It did separate the terminals a bit, though not much. Just to play it safe, I detached the wires (was worried I wouldn't be able to) and reattached them, making sure to leave more of a gap. Spacing looks closer to the manual now. I was a little afraid I'd bend those socket terminals if I crimped them real tight, but so far so good. On to the next step!

-Jonathan

Jonathan M