old original S.E.X. amps from the VALVE days question

rockdoc · 4002

Offline rockdoc

on: September 25, 2022, 01:52:48 PM
Digging through my stuff, I came across the old S.E.X. amps from the original run. I built them, and soon moved to Wellborne 2A3 moondogs, then the 300B Laurels, and on to my trusty old 45 Paraglows. So they were used very little, and never modified. I have the instruction booklet somewhere too. Should I rebuild them as original, or should I use the iron for another set of amps, or, just sell them as is as a project with the stash of tubes I have for them? I already have too many projects......

Steve T
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 01:57:25 PM by rockdoc »

Offline rockdoc

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 01:55:33 PM
more pics

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 07:43:14 PM
Those are a very early version of our very first product. I would think they would be best kept as they are from both an historical and an investment standpoint.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 08:05:49 PM
Some few years ago I put together a white paper, never posted or published, containing advice on exactly this question along with a history of these amps. I'm away from my files for a few more days, but PM me and I'll send along a copy. Useful whether you keep them as historical or wish to update them!  :^)

Meanwhile I'll just note that the power transformer in these earliest versions had a history of developing internal shorts and it should be one of the first things replaced, if it is to be used.

Paul Joppa

Offline rockdoc

Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 11:08:15 AM
Thanks Paul! pm sent. These were almost like the candyman saying "here, the first hit's on me..... "  My gateway into this world of  SET and parafeed.

Steve Tag

Offline rockdoc

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 04:02:59 AM
I posted them up on USAudiomart; hopefully someone's interested in these old amps....