a tale of two Eros

johnsonad · 1960

Offline johnsonad

on: September 26, 2022, 11:37:03 AM
I've been an Eros fan since it first came out and have had four versions of the circuit over the years (Eros one tape/phono, Tube Phono, Eros one, Eros 2).  I'm down to an Eros one that was chronicled in another thread and a new, nearly stock Eros two that was build to keep my sanity during COVID for a second system. With a listening room that I actually want to spend time in I compared the two Eros in the main system.  For background, the Eros one was built on a much larger chassis.  I removed the servo circuit and went excessively overboard on the parts with recommendations from PJ and PB.  The Eros 2 is stock other than two changes.  I'm using the 6BR7 vs. EF86 only because I have 20 of them sitting around and Solen poly film and foil output caps (again because I had a stash not being used).

On first comparison, I was surprised that the Eros 2 sounded better that the one in a few keys ways.  In comparing a vibraphone piece, an instrument I know well, the attack and decay were much more realistic with the Eros 2.  As the Eros one had too many mods to think of where to start, I reached out to the expert, Mr. Paul Birkland for some advice.  After talking through it he recommended swapping out the Solen Teflon film and foil output caps for poly film and foil.  It took me a few weeks to get around to it but man am I thankful for his advice.  It immediately cleared up the sonic abnormalities.  Thanks PB!

The caps are breaking in and I'm really enjoying the sound.  I'm not recommending going overboard like I did.  It was an exercise in excess to attempt to get it closer to the sound of the Tube Phono.  There is maybe a 5-10% difference in sound between the two phono stages in my system with subtle changes to soundstaging and realism.  The Eros 2 is a much easier build and very well laid out.  I could live happily with it as my only phono stage.  It's nice to have two though!

Thanks team BH for continuing to improve upon this circuit and for your continued support.

Aaron Johnson

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 06:01:50 PM
I have messed around with some of the Russian Teflon caps. I don't know if maybe I didn't give them enough time or what but I never warmed up to them. I am too cheap to try the Vcaps, (afraid I'll like them).
 I did use a pair of the Solen silver as Parafeed caps in one of my own projects and never felt the need to try something else...John

John Scanlon

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 04:12:03 AM
I think we've all messed around with the Russian Teflons at one point or another. I've got a drawer full of them still.  The Tube Phono had V Caps in it and I use V Caps in my other amps as bypass caps.   For the Eros I went cheap and didn't realize it was a compromise. Lesson learned.

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 05:14:22 AM
I've made two changed to the Eros two for the better since last posting on this thread.  The first was to remove the servo circuit.  It sounds great with it in and makes tube rolling easier but if you're willing to fuss with making sure the voltages are correct and roll some tubes, it's worth the change.  The second was to swap the poly film and foil caps for V-Caps Teflon film and foil.  In critical locations V-Caps to my ears make a difference that justify the price. 

Aaron Johnson