Too much bare wire on RCA jack? [resolved]

MilderER · 449

Offline MilderER

on: September 28, 2022, 02:39:46 AM
Hi! I'm back with another newbie question. Do I have too much bare wire peeking out above the black RCA jack (see photo)? I'm pretty sure the white wire is touching the bottom of the cup--I just stripped a little too much. Am I okay to go ahead and braid the wires, or is that bit of excess bare wire going to create problems down the road? Am I better trimming the white wire a bit and resoldering?

Thanks,
Jonathan
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:43:48 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Jonathan M

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 05:37:17 AM
This isn't an issue in this part of the circuit.  The place where I commonly see this and it is an issue is the green wire going to A4/A5, as removing too much jacket can allow the bare wire to touch the chassis plate.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MilderER

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 02:22:33 AM
Thanks so much, Paul. I'll push forward, then.

Speaking of A4/A5 (please let me know if I should post this separately), would a tight crimp on these terminals be responsible for the trouble I'm having inserting the 12AU7 in its socket? I managed to pass the glow test, but I had to really bear down on the tube and rock it back and forth a lot to get it fully seated. This is my first time with tubes, and I have no idea how much force they can withstand--or how tight a fit is ideal. Do things loosen up a bit with time? The 12AU7 did seem very slightly easier to insert the second time I attempted it.

Jonathan M

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 04:08:53 AM
The sockets will loosen up a little bit with use.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MilderER

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 02:53:17 PM
I'm glad to hear that. Thanks again!

-Jonathan

Jonathan M