Crack has me hooked

hifitoaster · 829

Offline hifitoaster

on: October 03, 2022, 06:54:28 AM
I've been a headphone enthusiast for a while but have only had solid state amps up until now. I went to CanJam last month and attended a talk about tube amps. The speaker mentioned Crack + 6XX being one of the best bang for the buck ways to dabble in tube amps. I like building projects and have soldered a bit in the past so I got a pair of 6XX and built the Crack. WOW! Ok, I can see what the big deal is. Tubes are super neat sounding and really interesting. I then installed the speedball last weekend, SUPER! Sounds great! I also have some new tubes coming so we'll see how that goes. I'm having so much fun and really interested in the tube amp world, I want to build another kit! So... which amp? I have the 6XX and LCD-X headphones.

A) S.E.X. is appealing because I've heard it has a big soundstage and I really like a big soundstage. It would also be able to drive both my 6XX and LCD-X. (also the most affordable amp other than the Crack)

B) Crack-a-two-a: It seems like an upgraded Crack and I really like what I'm hearing from the Crack and would love to hear even more of that. I'd also be able to use the upgraded tubes I have coming.

C) Mainline: I'm not as interested in this amp since it seems more neutral. Maybe I would love it. Who knows. I think I'm just interested in options that are significantly different than my solid state options. (I have a Burson Soloist 3XP and RME ADI-2)

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Crack + Speedball -> Sennheiser 6XX
S.E.X. C4S

RME ADI-2 DAC FS, Denafrips Ares II -> Burson Soloist 3XP -> Audeze LCD-X (2021)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 10:46:30 AM
The SEX amp is definitely a better sounding amp than the Crack and can drive most headphone available, but tube rolling options and possible customizations are a bit more limited.  The C2A gives more of what the Crack does well, but it doesn't offer the flexibility of the SEX amp.  The Mainline offers a lot of transparency, and admittedly that's not always what tube enthusiasts are after.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mucker

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 12:40:29 PM
I have never had or heard a Mainline, but IMO, for dollar value, the S3X amplifier has to be one of THE best tube amplifier's ever created. I have had many solid state amps and a dozen tube amps. What I use now and will for the future is a Crack/SB and S3X. I run an HD 600 with Crack and currently using a bombastic Denon AH-D7000 with the S3X which is unreal. A Moreplay (outstanding) is used with a power amp for speaker listening. I am not sure people appreciate how outstanding BH gear is. Enjoyment factor is high, I always like flicking the power switch to the ON position....  satisfaction guaranteed ....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:42:11 PM by Mucker »

Online Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 02:01:21 PM
I have a Crack, C2a, Mainline and 2 S3X'S. Initially I was a little ambivalent about the Mainline but after giving it a proper chance I can tell you that it is my prefered amp for headphones. S3X's are a great value and are quite versetile, I use them exclusively for speaker applications in my shop. The Crack and C2A have merit on their own and yes they sound more tubey than the Mainline and I occasionaly use them to remind myself of their sound signature but it is always back to the Mainline for me. Just one old man's opinion. Enjoy the music and the hobby.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 03:13:09 PM
Initially I was a little ambivalent about the Mainline but after giving it a proper chance I can tell you that it is my prefered amp for headphones.
That was certainly my response to the circuit back in the day.  It took some time to warm up to, but I wouldn't want to live without it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hifitoaster

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 08:14:20 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I've ordered a S3X kit! Looking forward to building and listening.

Crack + Speedball -> Sennheiser 6XX
S.E.X. C4S

RME ADI-2 DAC FS, Denafrips Ares II -> Burson Soloist 3XP -> Audeze LCD-X (2021)

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:22:07 AM
hifitoaster,
Admittedly never listened to the Mainline but I'm a total S.E.X. amp fanboy. One at work with small speakers nearfield and one at home for HPs and bedroom sound. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed, a really special amp. And remember pictures are always appreciated. Enjoy the build and the music.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77