Conversion to XLR

jlizaso · 997

Offline jlizaso

on: October 09, 2022, 11:15:21 PM
Hi,

I just want to ask is it possible to change one of the output to XLR?

How do I go about it?

Is it even worth the effort or I just use a converter?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 11:41:41 PM by jlizaso »

Jun Lizaso
Audio Enthusiast

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 03:59:48 AM
Really with the Moreplay this is relatively difficult.  To a large degree how I would do it would depend a lot on what the XLR is feeding. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jlizaso

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 08:13:48 PM
Wil it be the same for the input?  so an adapter is not an option?

Jun Lizaso
Audio Enthusiast

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 04:08:18 AM
For the input, you can use a 1:1 transformer for each channel.

The BeePre does offer places to mount 1:1 transformers and appropriate chassis connections for XLR inputs, as well as the second upgrade which provides a balanced output.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 04:52:09 AM
XLR connectors are normally used with balanced line cables; the standard for coaxial cables is RCA (in audio, anyhow). Balanced lines have no ground reference (the third pin is a shield, not a signal ground). These standards were originally developed with transformers at input and output, and that is still the best way to convert between them.

Transformers with good audio performance are inevitably expensive, so most audio gear now uses electronic approximations to give similar performance. Several different approximations are used, not always compatible with each other. Adapter cables usually just ground one line of a balanced line, which usually works, though the noise isolation of balanced lines is lost.

If a single ended output has a constant impedance, then a better approximation does that grounding with a matching resistor, restoring the noise isolation. That is what we did with the original BeePre. but Moreplay and BeePre 2 do not have constant output impedance. In BeePre 2, we add a cathode follower after the unbalanced output to obtain that constant impedance and thus retain the noise isolation. This is not possible with the Moreplay, so  an adapter cable will work but loses the advantage.

At the input, an adapter will still work if the source device is truly balanced, i.e. it has no signal ground on either line. But if the "balanced" output of the source device, is actually just push-pull, i.e. both lines are referenced to signal ground, then a converter would short one phase, possibly damaging the performance. Push-pull outputs are common in modern gear, and often incorrectly called balanced, which adds some confusion to the topic!

There are some papers on the Jensen Transformer website which provide much more information. Here is a link to one  of them:

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/an003.pdf

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 08:40:25 AM
I'll just interject my manufacturer's perspective  - that's why we make the BeePre2. It is the premium preamp and as such offers this type of premium feature. Horses for courses.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline roycruz23

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 09:43:55 AM
I did a 1:1 DIY DI Box. Although still have to be tested.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 11:50:05 AM
I did a 1:1 DIY DI Box. Although still have to be tested.
What's in the DI box?

Paul "PB" Birkeland