Remote volume control for Beepre

Okccraft · 1496

Offline Okccraft

on: August 13, 2022, 11:57:50 AM
I’ve been eyeing one of the Beepre kits, and it honestly ticks all the boxes for me with the exception of remote volume control. I know some will tell me to get out of my seat and change the volume, but I prefer to use a remote. Not to mention I have a wife and 3 kids to share the house with, and while I have a dedicated space it’s not shut off from the rest of the house. I find myself surfing the volume a lot of the time. My question is how hard would adding remote volume be. I have a Khozmo shunt attenuator with a remote I could use, and the series resistors can be changed to better suit the Beepre. I also considered it may be possible to use something like a motorized Alp pot. I’m hoping someone here may have some insight or possibly have done this.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 02:37:19 PM
I have used the Khozmo motorized pot in a custom build, and it's really a very large attenuator that you need to design around. It isn't going to fit mounted in the metal plate on the BeePre because I don't believe the wood base is tall enough, and if you mount it into the wood base, then the BeePre becomes a lot harder to work on.  You'd also ideally want a 10K level control which sure is a lot less common than the 50K or 100K attenuators.

Every time I have customized a Bottlehead kit to add a remote, it has required rather substantial modifications.  The least crazy implementation was this Stereomour that I built some time ago.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tubejack

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 01:13:16 AM

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline smodtactical

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 07:35:50 AM
Hey Paul do you have an internal shot of your amp with the khozmo inside?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 10:17:38 AM
If you put a Khozmo into the BeePre, it will only work properly if you have the second upgrade installed.  The JV-8 remote kit is a bit unique, as you can take all the attenuator resistor values that create a 50K attenuator and buy new resistors that are 1/10th the value to get a 5K attenuator that will work with the stock circuit.  This is how I built the prototype that Jonsonad has.

I have attached a photo here of the Khozmo built into the BeePre it went in, but I'm not sure this photo will be much help ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline smodtactical

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 08:38:42 AM
Wow thats really nice. Can the khozmo be put into the moreplay also ?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 11:30:46 AM
I went back and looked at the Khozmo website and I see that they make 5K and 10K units, so there are some options suitable for these circuits, though they will work best with a completely custom enclosure to fit properly.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 07:05:31 AM
Here's a (not cheap) alternative ....

http://dehavillandhifi.com/TW_remote_volume_control_is_the.htm

Does anyone have any experience with one of these remote systems?

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters