Setup upgrade day

ashbrook.m · 632

Offline ashbrook.m

on: November 25, 2022, 02:13:21 AM
Looking for advice on a pathway of additions to my setup. I have been using a heavily modified Crack with a Teac UD-301 DAC and HD 650 headphones for a number of years at my desk. I am looking to add phono and speaker capabilities.

Story is this. My grandmother used to work in a BIC factory and I have many of her turntables and enough cartridges/parts to last a lifetime or two. I have a pair of tower speakers laying around as well to get me started. My plan was to take advantage of the sale today and order a Kaiju and an Eros 2. Later, I would also build a pair of speakers (perhaps a subwoofer?) and a cabinet (also a woodworker) to compliment the setup using what I have for now.

Will this get me started? Do I need to put a BeePre 2 in the cart today as well? Thanks for your help.     

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 03:20:07 AM
The Eros is a phono pre (recommended: i love mine); without a volume controle.
The Kaiju is a power amp; without a volume controle.
I'd recommend putting a preamp (a volume control) in between. It won't work very well without.
The BeePre2 would be the best match yes.

Offline ashbrook.m

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 06:51:00 AM
Perfect. Thanks for the help. I just assumed from my Crack experience that everything has volume control.

Offline Larpy

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 10:54:46 AM
Kaiju does have a volume control.  One for the left channel, and one for the right channel.

Larry

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 11:31:15 AM
Technically, I'd call the Kaiju knobs sensitivity controls since they are linear pots, not logarithmic. They have a useful range of maybe 20dB, and are intended to deal with left-right gain balance and/or high-gain preamps.

Paul Joppa

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 07:07:17 AM
Yes, those are level trims. This is something we decided to incorporate after years of working with mastering engineers who needed very precise control of levels as tubes age.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.