Lots of static on warm up

Petricore · 1051

Offline Petricore

on: November 25, 2022, 07:25:30 AM
Hi all,

I have an Eros phono preamp I built a couple years back. I absolutely love the sound and have since it was built. I did the built myself and all of the tests at the end of the build passed. I have one issue, when I warm up the amp with the rest of my stereo on, I get a loud static, crackling, popping. If I warm it up before turning everything on I don't hear it, its only when its first turning on and I have the rest of the system on. I have it grounded to my power station.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to troubleshoot it? I'm almost to the point where I want to replace it just to get rid of the issue, but I thought I'd come here and troubleshoot first.

Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 07:37:06 AM
Some noise during warmup wouldn't be out of the ordinary.  What I would do to troubleshoot something like that is to hook it up to an old receiver with some cheap speakers attached, then poke around the circuit a bit with a wooden chopstick to see if I could set off those noises by poking anything in particular.  Performing this test can help you find solder joints that aren't quite 100%.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Petricore

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 04:50:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. Anything I can try that doesn't involve a second stereo, just have the one at the moment. Also, I never hear this outside of warmup and there is a definite point where I can tell its warm and it just sits quietly after.