Other Gear > Speakers

OB-H frame-SLOB

(1/3) > >>

opa1:
I've read that some of you have the OB-H-frame set ups. (karl, larpy). I'm wanting to build either the OB over the H-frame or NP SLOB. I have a bunch of FR drivers. FE-103, CHB, Betsy, 873 Zenith, Altec 403a, SP12B EV, Lii Audio MG-F8. I'm leaning towards the OB-H-frame.
I have the Betsy's in a GR type baffle and a sub doing lower duties. This sounds ok crossed around 80Hz. but, I know it can be better.
I've looked at MJK's h-frame article. Seems simple enough. 16" square baffle mounted in the middle. 7.5 deep front and back.
What are y'all using for the H-frame driver? Alpha 15A or some other high QTS driver? I'd also most likely use a plate amp for both drivers.

Larpy:
I built H-frames for GR Research subwoofer drivers, which are powered by plate amps.  I have stereo subs.  The "full range" drivers I use are Lii Audio F-15s.  (They're not really "full range," and I eventually added a tweeter to get output above 9K Hz.)

It's more money, but I went the powered sub route.  I liked the idea of having the extra flexibility and the extra power (my Lii Audio drivers are powered by a Kaiju).  The Rhythmik PEQ370 plate amps I use (one sub and one plate amp per channel) work really well.

I have a small room, so I'm using smaller baffles for the F-15s than I'd like.  Because of their small size, I get a –3 dB drop off above 120 Hz (where the F15s cross over to the subs), but I can live with it.  The GR Research subs go down with authority to 30 Hz in my little room, and I can even hear output at 20 Hz.

Attached is a photo of my speaker set up.

Karl5150:
I have the Betsy and a cheap GRS 15" woofer mounted on the same large baffle with partial wings extending up past the woofer. Each woofer has a dedicated 100W sub plate amp, and each Betsy has a large poly cap to keep the lowest frequencies out.
Karl

Larpy:
If you have a bigger room than mine, you could build your own version of Caintuck Audio's "bigger barrel" OBs.  I originally had my Lii Audio F-15s in such baffles, and they definitely sounded fuller than they do in the tiny baffles I have them in now. 

If I had the space in my little room, I'd put my F15s back into the bigger barrel baffles (see photo below) and place them atop H-frames with a sub.

opa1:
Thanks for the quick replies. I had the F15's when they first came out. I sold them without really giving them a chance. Also had the small version of the Caintuck baffles.

Which GRS 15" driver are you using? MJK has a new set up out with a 18" Goldwood in a H-frame. Supposed to play lower than the Alpha15a.
 http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/Jordan.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version