Help with Capacitor Direction [resolved]

hpleung · 1514

Offline hpleung

on: December 22, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
Hi,

Can I get some help to identify if this capacitor is directional or not? I would be using it in my Mainline. There are 3 feets, 2 + signs and 1 - sign. My understanding is, the 2 + signs are where I should connect the wires; the - sign is simply a feet for support.

I check the product site: https://www.soniccraft.com/datasheets/Mundorf_MLytic_HV-data.jpg but could not get a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance,

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:00:45 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 11:17:49 AM
If you look at the designation on the body it tells you that this is two 100uF caps in a single case. They share a common low potential (negative) connection. So minus goes to ground and each positive terminal can go to a separate power supply HV node. Or the two positive terminals can be wired together to make a single 200uF cap.

In other words it wires pretty much like an electrolytic cap, minus to ground, plus to HV B+. Don't wire it the way you propose!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline hpleung

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 11:20:24 AM
Wao...Good thing i checked. Thank you very much.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 01:32:00 PM
Just so you know, the power supply caps in the Mainline are not in the signal path, so there's not a substantial reason to mess with different parts there.  If you are planning to use two of those and replace the doubler caps, you'll want to double check that the ripple current rating on those caps is sufficient for the job (don't always assume something like that purely based on size, I've been fooled before!).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hpleung

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:38 AM
Thank you. This thread can be considered resolved.