Inductor placement/orientation on passive crossover board

FS · 319

Offline FS

Hello,

Does it matter how the inductor coils are placed on the board? Does it matter which lead goes towards the post, except maybe for mounting convenience? For the 0.7mH inductor, it says in the manual that "the shorter lead should be closer to the binding post". Now, there is no significant difference in lead length for the parts that I have. If orientation matters, should the lead from the inside of the coil go towards the post and the lead from the outside of the coil go the other way? I can't tell from the pictures in the manual.
Thanks very much in advance.
Cheers,
FS

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 02:07:56 PM
For that particular part, it's just important that the leads land properly.  If both leads are the same length, then don't sweat it. 

As far as how the inductors are positioned on the board, that is actually quite critical, and the coils shouldn't be aligned.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline FS

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 02:26:22 PM
Thanks, Paul for the speedy reply. Of course, I will maintain the coil positioning as shown/described in the manual. The inductors may just be "flipped" as to where the lead from the inner end and that of the outer end of the coil connect on the board.
Cheers,
FS