Painting Neutric RCA jacks

sl-15 · 1390

Offline sl-15

on: January 24, 2023, 02:35:07 PM
I am planning on spray painting the recessed Neutric RCA jacks. I only want to paint the top part that is visible. I am assuming that the RCA jack housing must make good contact with the top plate from the underside. So I would take care to not paint the part of the housing that touches the top plate. Or does it not matter if there is good contact between the top plate and the jack housing? I am guessing it is necessary for proper shielding. I just wanted to confirm that I apply the right logic here. Thanks.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 02:40:42 PM
This doesn't seem particularly critical, I wouldn't sweat it.  Do be aware that they make a black version of these jacks, so if you're after black, you could just buy a fresh set.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 02:58:09 PM
As always Paul, answer within moments! Thanks, I have another color in mind so i wont be getting black.  Are you saying the contact between the housing and top plate is not critical? That would make spray painting them much easier.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 03:26:33 PM
So if you insulated those jack shells really well from the chassis, then somehow got a live wire to touch them and scrape through your coating, then touched one with your finger and scraped through the coating on the other side, that could be a problem.   That's a one in a billion kind of chance, so I personally wouldn't worry about it. 

Do post pictures of what you're concocting though!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 04:04:00 PM
Ha, yes very unlikely to happen. I thought these shells shield the Rca connection from RFI or EMI and thus need good contact to the chassy. I am sure I will post some photos once I am done but its going to be a while, I need to wait for warmer weather to be able to spray paint. Currently have no workshop so the yard it is.

Stefan Hampel