Bee Pre 2 Tubes

blackharp · 1419

Offline blackharp

on: January 26, 2023, 05:44:28 AM
I recently ordered a Bee Pre 2 and have some general questions on the stock tubes. I read another post noting someone's kit came with EH tubes, someone else from an older thread had NOS vintage tubes, and when asked about the kit I purchased, it will be coming with PSVane 300B tubes.

Is this correct? Any logic on tube selection, or is it whatever is available at the time? Are the PSVane tubes excellent, or should I consider asking for no tubes and finding like a NOS tube or something different that is better? Apologies for my ignorance; this is my first 300B tube piece of equipment but have a lot of PP and some SET amps. Thinking I'll use my Citation II power amp with the Bee Pre 2 until there may be news on some new monoblocks.

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to building the kit.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 06:03:24 AM
For a long, long time we were supplying EH 300B tubes.  The current political climate in Russian doesn't make that option particularly viable right now, so we are providing Psvane tubes instead.

We have never provided a BeePre with NOS 300Bs.  A pair of NOS 300Bs would be worth at least $5000, and we just aren't that generous. 

While there are definitely higher dollar 300Bs with a lot of deserved fan admiration behind them, I wouldn't necessarily run out to buy these immediately.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline blackharp

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:49:18 AM
I appreciate your response. I apologize, I didn't necessarily mean the person's kit in reference to NOS tubes was a Bee Pre. It may have been a preamp or smaller amp.

It sounds like the PSVanes were chosen as the best option outside of incredibly expensive options. Thank you.