Is the BeePre2 a good fit for my system?

Bubbatwoa · 1443

Offline Bubbatwoa

on: February 04, 2023, 08:31:40 AM
My current system consists of an Oppo disc player connected directly to a push-pull triode amp running EL34s (40 watts/channel), which power a pair of Klipsch La Scalas (105dB sensitivity).  I control the volume using the variable RCA output on the Oppo.  For a couple of reasons, I want to add a preamp between the player and the integrated amp.  Question is, Moreplay or BeePre2?  Or neither?

To confirm something I haven't been able to find in any of the descriptions, the BeePre2 comes standard with (2) sets of RCA outputs(like the Moreplay), correct?  I would need both.  I have no need for XLR so I would skip installing that part of the second upgrade.

The EL34 amp has 100k input impedance.  There is no gain spec I can find.  Do the BeePre2 and Moreplay have about the same gain?  Any foreseeable problems with compatibility (also considering the highly sensitive speakers)?  Which one is quieter?

How much better is the BeePre2 vs the Moreplay?  With upgrades, the BeePre2 is 4x the cost of the Moreplay.  While I can afford both easily, I hesitate to spend a lot more unless I'm convinced it's worth it.  I know this question is entirely subjective, but input from those who are familiar with both preamps would be helpful.  What I want most from the sound is clarity, transparency, soundstage, separation and dynamics.  Which one exhibits those qualities the most?  I've read many times that the 300b is prized for its full, lush, fat midrange but that it has mushy bass and rolled off treble.  Anyone here agree?  Opinions seem to be all over the map on what a 300b does for you.

Offline Larpy

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:24:17 AM
Moreplay has a bit more gain, but with your speakers I think either preamp would work.  I've not heard a BeePre, but I built a Moreplay and I was mightily impressed.  Even stock, it easily outclassed my Extended Foreplay III (one that I had obsessively modded over the years).

I'll yield to others who have heard both, but I can't imagine that the BeePre sounds four times better than the Moreplay.   If ultimate resolution is important to you, why not go all out if you can afford it?  Get the BeePre.  But I could happily live with the Moreplay, and I'm pretty picky.

Plus, tuberolling with the Moreplay will be dramatically less expensive.

As for 300Bs having soft treble and mushy bass, that's not at all accurate for Bottlehead designs.  I have a Kaiju and "soft and mushy" isn't even remotely how I'd describe its sound.  It's more the circuit than the tube.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:27:10 AM by Larpy »

Larry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 12:20:41 PM
Your amplifier and speaker pairing may be problematic, as you may only really want 10dB or so of gain between the amp and the preamp.  Using some -12dB Rothwell attenuators at the inputs of your amp would likely be a good idea regardless of which preamp you use!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man