Does Stereomour II Amp come with tubes or need to purchase tubes separately?

decommo · 1531

Offline decommo

Hello,

Total newbie here and keen to get hands on Stereomour II amp to build and use it with high sensitivity OB speakers.
I could not find any info whether matching tubes come with the kit or tubes are needed to be purchased separately.

Can any experienced member enlighten me on this?

Thank you...

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Tubes are included.

Paul Joppa

Offline decommo

Thank you so much. Great to know that it comes with matching tubes which is great relief..

May I ask what brand of 2A3 and 12AT7 tubes are come with?

Lastly, I am trying to match it with 97db at 8ohm sensitivity speakers and does it mean I need DC Filament Upgrade to avoid hum noise with high sensitivity speakers?

Thank you again.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
My guess is that at 97dB sensitivity you are on the edge; probably fine without the DC filament power, but it's hard to predict - there are too many variables.

That's the main reason the DC supply is a separate item. You can pick one up later if you feel the need.

We generally encourage customers to build the stock kit first, and listen to it until it is reasonably well broken in - something like 100 hours of music, usually. It's far easier to debug a standard build, and the forum will be able to offer more help if there are any issues. Plus, if you do install any of the upgrades, you will be able to hear for yourself what effect they have.

Hopefully Doc B or PB will chime on on the tubes currently shipped.

Paul Joppa

Offline Tom-s

In my experience with SII it’s fine without the DC filament upgrade.
This is with my 99db/w Klipsch Heresy. With a pair of 102db Cornwall it’s perfectly fine with some more quiet tubes and not so much with noisy ones. It’s partially tube dependent.

Offline decommo

My guess is that at 97dB sensitivity you are on the edge; probably fine without the DC filament power, but it's hard to predict - there are too many variables.

That's the main reason the DC supply is a separate item. You can pick one up later if you feel the need.

We generally encourage customers to build the stock kit first, and listen to it until it is reasonably well broken in - something like 100 hours of music, usually. It's far easier to debug a standard build, and the forum will be able to offer more help if there are any issues. Plus, if you do install any of the upgrades, you will be able to hear for yourself what effect they have.

Hopefully Doc B or PB will chime on on the tubes currently shipped.

Thank you. I usually choose stock option and opt for upgrades if I feel needed but I am based in Australia so shipping is quite expensive so if it is required, might get upgrade at the same time to save international postage cost.

If possible, love to find out stock tubes come with and if they are quiet ones.

Offline decommo

In my experience with SII it’s fine without the DC filament upgrade.
This is with my 99db/w Klipsch Heresy. With a pair of 102db Cornwall it’s perfectly fine with some more quiet tubes and not so much with noisy ones. It’s partially tube dependent.

Thank you and great to know that it works fine without DC filament upgrade. May I ask what quiet tubes you are using for Cornwall?
Thanks again....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
We ship with Sovtek or ElectroHarmonix 2A3s and currently we have been shipping with old stock US 12AT7s. That may change as prices on 12AT7s are going up, in which case we would most likely substitute an EH brand.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tom-s

With the supplied tubes it’s good in my experience. EML tubes are an even more quiet option and a good choice with more efficient speakers. 
With NOS RCA some are better than others. It’s a matter of luck.

Offline oztayls

• Still waiting for proof of the THING...
I have a couple of NOS 6AT7s that I found at an an antique shop, basically one half of a 12AT7. Could these be used in a stock Stereomour II?

Thorens TD124, TD125, ARXA, ARXB, Stereomour II (no mods), Spud Kit amp 2.3wpc, Boyuu A50 Mk3 300B 7wpc, EAR 834P, Leak Sandwich 15ohm, Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm, Lii Audio Fast-8 OBs, Klipsch Heresy 1.5s, On the Decware 4-year wait list for SE84UFO2.1

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I have never seen a 6AT7, can you post some pics?  There doesn't seem to be a datasheet for a 6AT7 to examine, so it would be tough to be certain what it could and couldn't do.  We would not expect it to be half a 12AT7, but rather a 12AT7 with a 6V/3V heater instead of a 12V/6V.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online pboser

On Radiomuseum website it appears to be a 6v version of the 12at7.

(typo corrected, but according to the next post, irrelevant)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 04:06:06 AM by pboser »

Peter Boser

Offline oztayls

• Still waiting for proof of the THING...
Oops, my mistake, it's a 6AN7. Branded Miniwatt, made by Phillips in Australia I believe.

Thorens TD124, TD125, ARXA, ARXB, Stereomour II (no mods), Spud Kit amp 2.3wpc, Boyuu A50 Mk3 300B 7wpc, EAR 834P, Leak Sandwich 15ohm, Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm, Lii Audio Fast-8 OBs, Klipsch Heresy 1.5s, On the Decware 4-year wait list for SE84UFO2.1