RCA output?

jlucas · 1036

Offline jlucas

on: March 31, 2023, 07:13:51 AM
I did try to search but did not find the right combination of terms that yielded the desired results.

Can I/how would I add post volume control a set of RCA outputs (to drive a powered sub)?  The sub I want to use does not have speaker level inputs.

Love this kit driving my desk speakers but I do miss my sub.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 10:54:03 AM
Best bet is probably to take the signal from the speaker outputs, which probably means an adapter cable of some sort is needed. Can you post a link to the sub's specs and/or a photo of its controls and inputs? Do you use the headphone jack? What impedance is the S.E.X. output transformer wired for? These questions will help to determine the simplest way to do that.

Paul Joppa

Offline jlucas

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 07:23:38 PM
Sub: https://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd
Headphone use: infrequently as I usually use my BH crack+speedball for that
Ohm: I did not build this kit like I did my crack as it came with a ton of upgrades for a killer price but I was told it was wired 4 ohm.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 08:06:16 PM
Here ya go:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c780--RCA_Male_Insert_Y_Cables?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJDb25uZWN0b3IgMSI6WyJUUlMgTWFsZSAxLzQiXX19&highlight=TRS202&sb=popular

Do a search - they have 4 pages of adapters from various companies, This one is available in lengths up to 12 feet, in case your subs are distant.

Wired at 4 ohms, the maximum output is 2volts RMS, the same as a standard CD player, to the levels should work out.

Paul Joppa

Offline jlucas

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 05:09:19 AM
I thought that when a headphone plug was inserted it turns off the stereo output ?  Or I am thinking of something else?

It would be great if the solution was that simple.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 05:22:26 AM
It does, but you can add jumpers to the headphone jack to defeat that.  You add a jumper between the bottom lugs, another jumper between the middle lugs, and a third jumper between the top lugs on the headphone jack, then the speakers will stay on with headphones plugged in.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jlucas

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 05:28:23 AM
Any issues using the amp for headphones (with no speakers plugged in) when those jumpers are in place?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 08:03:48 AM
Nope, no issues there.  If you put the jumpers in and want to use it as a speaker/HP amp, you'll end up needing to unplug the speakers every time you use the headphones, and that would be somewhat obnoxious.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jlucas

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 10:24:44 AM
Thanks for the help Paul!