Help!

binaryman · 871

Offline binaryman

on: March 11, 2023, 12:32:21 PM
Dear all,

I have recently assembled the Streomour II (painted wood and metal) and unfortunately, I am experiencing issues with the unit not powering up. Despite attempting to troubleshoot the issue using the resistance measurements provided in the manual (pages 63-64), my readings were inaccurate and incorrect.

As I am not experienced in soldering and have never attempted it before, I am unsure whether the problem lies in my soldering technique, such as using too much lead or making incorrect joints, or whether there is another underlying issue. I am reaching out to all of you for your expertise and guidance in this matter.

I understand that repairing the Streomour II may be challenging, but any advice or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 12:35:46 PM by binaryman »

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 12:49:31 PM
Looking at your first picture I see a problem where at the power trans the diodes that are twisted together are not soldered, that's gonna cause problems. Also some of the solder joints look ok but many need more heat so they dont look crusty.

Lee R.

Offline binaryman

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 01:51:32 PM
Dear Lee R,

Thank you so much for your valuable advice! I truly appreciate your input.  I will certainly give it another try and keep you informed of my progress!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 02:57:40 PM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 03:28:07 PM
You have a backwards 100uf/450V cap.

You have a backwards UF4007 diode.

The soldering video will be very helpful, as more heat will be required to get good joints in a lot of places there.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline binaryman

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 03:38:23 PM
Dear Doc B and Paul,

I wanted to express my gratitude for the video you shared with me.  I found it to be incredibly helpful and informative, and I actually watched it 3 times to ensure that I fully understood the instructions.
I am now feeling confident about starting to work on the project and appreciate your assistance.

Thank you for bringing the correction to my attention.  I will ensure to make the necessary changes for both the 100uf and UF 44007.  Your help has been invaluable, and I truly appreciate it.

Thank you once again!