130 ohm 2 watt resistors heads up

patrick620 · 1110

Offline patrick620

on: April 27, 2023, 03:54:20 PM
The markings on the ones I got in my kit do not jive with the pic or color code description in the procedure. Mine are brown, orange, black, black, gold, which is correct for a 5 band color code. It did throw me off a bit and I thought I was either shorted them or lost them. "Anyone can do it" ? Turns out I am MIL spec. Also, why are those R's in the power supply smaller in size? The 1 watts  are twice as big as the 2 watt in the PS. WTF? JS

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:30:31 PM by patrick620 »

Offline patrick620

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 08:50:02 PM
Just like the old tube radios. F the parts list, just use what is on hand. I have been building airplanes for 25 years. I know what I am talking about

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:53:59 PM by patrick620 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 04:35:56 AM
We note on the parts list that components may look different than those in the description. Something to bear in mind is that leaded components are rather archaic these days. So the available selection of leaded resistors and capacitors is steadily shrinking. The 130 ohm resistors are a substitute that was the best replacement we could get for the ones we used in the manual prototype. Resistor bodies have generally been getting smaller for a given wattage rating over the past 30 years that I have been doing this stuff. I suspect this has been driven in part by the continual development of smaller and smaller SMDs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.