Probably a stupid question, but... Do I need S.E.X.?

Dr. Soot · 1230

Offline Dr. Soot

• "Don't be so open minded your brains fall out"
Ok, dumb joke aside, do I need a S.E.X. amp?  I currently have a Crack and love it, obviously, that is a headphone only amp and I have been dipping my toes into the idea that I would like to get some speakers.  What speakers, you ask, haven't got a clue.  I plan on putting them on my desk, where I spend most of my time.  So in my mind, if I want to be able to use headphones and speakers at the same time, then it seems like the right time for S.E.X.  BUT! is this the right approach?  Will I blow my eardrums out? Is this a stupid idea?  Like, I said, this may be a stupid question.  My office space is small, but in the next year or two we are moving and the space will be much larger, so I was thinking of future-proofing my purchase.  Most importantly, I just really want to build another amp!  I don't think I need another Crack and I was going to get the Crackatwoa, but alas, it is gone.  I guess the amp that burns brighter burns faster.  Any thoughts and comments appreciated.
Cheers,
Dr. Soot

Cheers,

Pedro

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 06:04:58 AM
The SEX is a better sounding headphone amp than the Crack in my opinion, and it works great as a desktop speaker amp and isn't so picky about speakers when they are only a few feet from you. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Dr. Soot

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 07:54:07 AM
Thank you Paul, I appreciate it. 

Pedro

Cheers,

Pedro

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 05:23:41 PM
I really enjoyed the SEX amp when I had it.  It sounded great with headphones and could drive my Altec 19's (at the time) to a high level without clipping.  Buddies of mine who heard it in the system were impressed by what it could do. It was a nice gateway drug into different amps and in many ways I regret selling it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 02:29:15 AM
It’s a great little amp. I use it in our dining room driving Blumenstein Orcas. It gets loud enough for a gathering of people and the sounds is very nice. I’ve been looking for a reason to buy a second

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Dr. Soot

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 06:45:05 AM
Thanks to all who chimed in.  I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Pedro

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 03:28:44 AM
Pedro,
As the others have said, the S3X amp practically begs to be put into service in a desktop system. One amp that delivers the goods for both speakers (with a little help from a sub or two, IMO) and good to great headphones. Oh, and looks good doing it, either stock or dressed-up a bit.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Dr. Soot

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 05:57:06 AM
Thank you Karl!  I need no more convincing, I am only trying to figure out how I will disguise it as a Crack so my wife won't notice  ;D

Cheers,

Pedro

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 05:56:58 PM
Not to disparage your wife or any one else, but what I have noticed is that to the non hobbyists, one tube amp looks much like the other  8)

John Scanlon

Offline Dr. Soot

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 12:53:31 PM
You are absolutely correct, but my wife has learned over the years to pay attention to the details with my stuff.  I used to collect watches, that's where she got good at noticing differences.  She knows my crack and she enjoys the warm tube light from it.  If all of sudden that changes, uh oh  :o

Cheers,

Pedro