Shielding WiFi interference

Comity · 2692

Offline Comity

on: July 14, 2023, 04:27:51 AM
Hi, I was thinking about the possibility of using aluminum foil to shield my Stereomour from WiFi interference. Maybe lining the sides and bottomi of the Stereomour box with aluminum foil, creating an encasement of sorts? I can’t move my router and was hoping to use a quick fix like this. I appreciate any advice/ feedback on this approach. Thank you.

Greg Kelso

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 04:55:13 AM
It would be preferable to use perforated plate material on the bottom to permit cooling airflow and prevent component failures. And of course be aware that this may or may not do the job - radiation can be picked up by the input or output wires, or the tubes  themselves.

Paul Joppa

Offline Comity

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 05:07:01 AM
Thanks Paul. I appreciate your input very much. I was also thinking the ventilation to the bottom components may not be sufficient with a sealed foil encasement and your comments confirmed that.  I will use your suggestion and use a perforated lining on the bottom and see what that gets me. Hopefully that will do it. If not, maybe some shielded interconnects.

Greg Kelso

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 03:21:48 AM
I'd want to be certain that I was actually having WiFi interference before trying things. The double diode mod to the power input connections can work miracles if you haven't done that.