My first time. Can't wait

[email protected] · 1609

Offline [email protected]

on: June 22, 2023, 04:50:47 AM
Hi everyone! Just ordered the S.E.X and it's my first time (doing DIY of course.. what are you thinking of you goofhead!!). Am extremely exited for the kit, and can't wait till it arrives here in South Korea (..hopefully next month?). I'm coming off some pairs of headphones (sr325x, hd600, tago t3-01, arya stealth V3, denon d7200, dt770, dt880, k712, sundara) but still felt lacking somehow. I was powering these off SMSL SU-6/SH-9 stack, but music didn't sound convincing. I have listened to really great systems in audio shops here, and my gosh those tubes! Haha, so yeah I figured upgrading source is next.

I decided to sell off everything, keeping only hd600 and tago t3-01, and am using that money on the S.E.X. Currently, I am planning on using my mojo2 as both a portable device and desktop DAC, which will be paired to the S.E.X. While I'd love to own multiple headphones, I am still doing my masters degree, and don't have a fortune to spend. Besides, I find myself having the hd600 on my head mostly nowadays. There's just this feeling I should go for tubes and bottlehead just seemed to be it. The S.E.X seemed right because I can drive low impedance headphones and IEMS too.

I've already watched the Doctor is in vids on YT, and am currently wondering if I should just use equipment from my lab, or buy equipment for myself (would you recommend me buying?). In terms of aesthetics, I like the vanilla look. Here's how I want my S.E.X(hehe):
    1. Danish oil coating on the wood
    2. Keep the brushed aluminum look (I think it looks good, but will have to see irl)
    3. Polish the transformer bell (and the two side transformers?) with steel wool 0000, then use PIKAL metal polish (already bought)

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are most welcome :)

Offline Cary

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 05:31:41 AM
Here is what I learned building many kits and scratch builds:

1. Read the assembly manual before start your build.
2. Assemble the amplifier in stock form first, it's easier to trouble shoot any problems that you may have.
3. Take your time and enjoy the assembly process.
4. Check and double check what you are doing.
5. Use a heatsink when soldering parts like caps, resistors, transformers and switches.

Offline mrclassicman

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 05:57:10 AM
I have built several Bottlehead kits and this time I took my time! Key to my success I am certain. Read the assembly manual several times to get a feel for the instructions. Tape the photo of the terminal layout and numbering as a visual reference. Check off each step as completed and double check it against the instructions. Everything required for success is in the assembly manual, so take your time and if a question arises use email or forum to garner some assistance. Enjoy the process and reap the rewards of your completed project!

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 06:07:57 AM
Here is what I learned building many kits and scratch builds:

1. Read the assembly manual before start your build.
2. Assemble the amplifier in stock form first, it's easier to trouble shoot any problems that you may have.
3. Take your time and enjoy the assembly process.
4. Check and double check what you are doing.
5. Use a heatsink when soldering parts like caps, resistors, transformers and switches.

Will certainly stick to the manual, and hey those are the main things I should look out for. Thanks!

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 06:32:25 AM
I have built several Bottlehead kits and this time I took my time! Key to my success I am certain. Read the assembly manual several times to get a feel for the instructions. Tape the photo of the terminal layout and numbering as a visual reference. Check off each step as completed and double check it against the instructions. Everything required for success is in the assembly manual, so take your time and if a question arises use email or forum to garner some assistance. Enjoy the process and reap the rewards of your completed project!

Sure will!