Stereomour !! Shunt Reg; What the....!

oztayls · 2249

Offline oztayls

• Still waiting for proof of the THING...
on: August 22, 2023, 04:28:00 PM
I added the Shunt Regulator kit on the weekend. It's a nice easy build with a low parts count. Like the main build, I took the the time to review every step in the manual and to check all the solder joints with a magnifier. I think it's a very worthwhile step to do as I caught an error in the main build that would have resulted in some diagnosing.

I must have been somewhat fatigued when we fired it up as it sounded pretty much the same as before. It was more of a test really, than a listening session. Then on Monday evening we settled down with a nice bottle of Hunter Valley Syrah for some listening. My God, what happened overnight?! This thing has gone to a place I could only describe as stratospheric! Output is higher as we are on just under 12 o'clock on volume control instead of the 1 o'clock we had before. To say we are happy with our S-II, or should I say S-!!, is an understatement. This amp is insanely good. :D

Now I have a question. Because we have fairly sensitive speakers (vintage Leak Sandwich and Mini Sandwich), I opted to get the DC Filament Supply kit at the same time as the S-!! kit. However, we have not experienced any hum from them, so what should I do, install the kit anyway, or just leave well alone? Will it still be of benefit anyway? I'm interested in what others have experienced after adding the Filament supply mod.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:30:32 PM by oztayls »

Thorens TD124, TD125, ARXA, ARXB, Stereomour II (no mods), Spud Kit amp 2.3wpc, Boyuu A50 Mk3 300B 7wpc, EAR 834P, Leak Sandwich 15ohm, Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm, Lii Audio Fast-8 OBs, Klipsch Heresy 1.5s, On the Decware 4-year wait list for SE84UFO2.1

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 05:59:49 PM
For me with a range of speakers from 97 on down, I find 2.5V tubes, 2A3, 45 are plenty quiet run on AC. When I get to 5V, 300b, the hum becomes intrusive.

I would sit back and enjoy the music and if something changes, you have the kit in your back pocket...John

John Scanlon

Offline oztayls

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 06:02:24 PM
OK, that makes sense to me. Thank you!

Thorens TD124, TD125, ARXA, ARXB, Stereomour II (no mods), Spud Kit amp 2.3wpc, Boyuu A50 Mk3 300B 7wpc, EAR 834P, Leak Sandwich 15ohm, Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm, Lii Audio Fast-8 OBs, Klipsch Heresy 1.5s, On the Decware 4-year wait list for SE84UFO2.1

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 06:51:24 PM
There is a theoretical reason for DC heating, which is that hum intermodulates with the music signal, and is measureable. But I can't say that I've seen much sign on the internet that it's audible, if the hum itself is inaudible.

Paul Joppa

Offline oztayls

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 07:12:23 PM
There is a theoretical reason for DC heating, which is that hum intermodulates with the music signal, and is measureable. But I can't say that I've seen much sign on the internet that it's audible, if the hum itself is inaudible.

I guess I could take the hippocratic approach of "do no harm" and have a fully loaded Stereomour II.  ;D