Are you using a Class D power amp with Moreplay?

Rabco · 3125

Offline Rabco

on: September 15, 2023, 10:35:49 AM
I’ve been running an ~18 year old power amp with 6AV5GA power tubes, and decided it was finally time for an upgrade. When I built my Moreplay to feed this old amp, it improved the sound markedly, even tho the old amp had recently been gone thru with all time-suspect hardware replaced by the manufacturer. Most recently I’ve been into the tube sound, but occasionally miss the whomp of a Dynaco 400 I put together once upon a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Hmmm. So I looked around in my price range and decided to go with an NAD C298. I found that there is at least one manufacturer thats making a hybrid power amp with tubes up front, and solid state for power. So I decided to mimic this setup with seperates. Moreplay pre, NAD power amp for….power. I was a little hesitant as I’m unfamiliar with Class D power amps though they seem to be showing up more and more.
I am thrilled with the combo.
Nonetheless I’d like to hear from anyone else currently using this approach, or from anyone that cares to address the pro’s, con’s, etc.
The only major downside I can see is simply keeping my Moreplay in vintage 6V6’s as they seem to be in demand. I’ve ponied up for several pair which should keep me going awhile.

“First you fly, then you die!”—Los Lobos

Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Moreplay pre->NAD C298 power amp->KLH 5 (2023) speakers.
Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Crack/Speedball amp>Sennheiser HD600 headphones

AG

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 11:05:25 AM
Hi,
 Since power amp shouldn't colored the music, running a valve pre amp with a SS power amp is the best of both world IMO.
I was playing SS pre amp with SS power amp and happy, until start playing my Moreplay with my SS power amp, the difference is notorious, much more definition and better bass.
but this is one link of a long chain.
BTW, My amps are AB class.

Cheers from Fla.
Andre.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 11:08:07 AM by AG »

Offline Mucker

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 07:18:30 PM
You don't need to worry about "keeping your Moreplay in 6V6s". They are gonna last for years in that circuit.

I have been using a class D amp PB put together with a Moreplay, to (temporarily) run the new subwoofers we are developing for the Pipettes. The Moreplay/class D combo works well in that application.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline hmbscott

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 01:11:25 PM
I'm using my Moreplay with a couple of Class A amps. One is a cheap tube SET, very low power - maybe 2W (Nobsound), and the other is a SS Class A, ACA mono blocks - 15W. Of the two I slightly prefer the tube amp.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Rabco

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 02:09:49 PM
Andre, I feel like my audiophile journey has been one long chain. A couple of the links seemed to lead me to cul-de-sacs. Such is the journey. I certainly feel like things are going the right way now. (Knocking on wood!)
Seems like I might be ahead of the curve on this solid state Class D thing.

Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Moreplay pre->NAD C298 power amp->KLH 5 (2023) speakers.
Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Crack/Speedball amp>Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Offline Rabco

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 02:15:31 PM
Mucker, do the 6K6’s require any circuit mods, or are they swappable into the Moreplay w/o modification? What’s your experience with the character of their sound vs the 6V6’s? Is their end volume output in the Moreplay circuit approximately the same as the 6V6’s?

Offline Rabco

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 02:30:06 PM
Doc B, thanks for weighing in. My experience with tube longevity has been all over the map, with non-Bottlehead designs. The Moreplay and Crack/Speedball are getting a lot of use these days…..I’m really digging them. I think I have my rig configured in a way thats going to result in a lot of use. It doesn’t hurt that the new power amp is not as fatiguing as what I replaced. Good to know the valve longevity is a non issue.
Good luck with the Pipettes. I had some single driver speakers built from kits in my not too distant past. I wish I’d had my Bottlehead gear then to drive them!

Offline Mucker

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023, 03:43:16 PM
Mucker, do the 6K6’s require any circuit mods, or are they swappable into the Moreplay w/o modification? What’s your experience with the character of their sound vs the 6V6’s? Is their end volume output in the Moreplay circuit approximately the same as the 6V6’s?

No mod required. They don't seem a whole lot different than the 6V6 IME. Not better or worse but they are a bit more price friendly. Great tubes IMO.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 03:45:04 PM by Mucker »

Offline Cary

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 04:31:59 AM
With an adapter I use 6AQ5 and or 7C5 loctal tubes in my Moreplay.

Offline hmbscott

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 06:59:47 PM
This thread has made me curious about Class D. As I posted earlier, both of my amps are low power Class A. What would a good Class D amp be like? So after a little research I decided to dip my toe in with a Hypex Nilai. The kit arrived today, and after a couple hours of assembly, I can report that it does indeed pair very nicely with my Moreplay.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers

Offline Mucker

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 08:17:33 PM
Cool, thanks for the feedback. How much volume range do you have on Moreplay with the Hypex?

Offline hmbscott

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 09:02:42 PM
I setup the Hypex Nilai for low gain, 12 dB. It can be setup with low, medium or high gain (12, 22, or 28 dB). I also have a 3dB pad built into my Moreplay. So my system has relatively low overall gain which gives the Moreplay plenty of volume knob range. I can turn volume up to about 50% and achieve quite loud but still comfortable listening levels.

Scott

Offline Mmaxed

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 09:38:59 AM
I am running a Class D Audio SDS254 with the Moreplay.  Best combo I have had with the Altecs.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2023, 10:40:46 AM
For me it depends on the music genre. For Jazz my power amp of choice is Single Ended Triodes. For Rock I prefer Solid State. Not necessarily class D but those are nice sounding too.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject. But IIRC P.J. mentioned one time that has to do with the dampening factor and the use of some negative feedback. The now discontinued Bottlehead Seductor EL84 amplifier used a small amount of negative feedback and had a higher dampening factor. I'm going by my not so great memory here so someone one jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor