Help choosing a cap upgrade

Bubbatwoa · 5189

Offline Mucker

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 12:12:09 PM
Received and just installed the Jantzen's today. First listen is excellent. They seem slightly less warm than the Mundorf right now but I'll have to  give them some time before giving a final opinion.

Edit: I am 5 hours into listening. The preamp is sounding amazing. I am not sure if the Jantzens are any better than the Mundorfs. Just different. Both of them are excellent performers for the money.

I've also been trying out a new set of NOS tubes. 1961 Sylvania 6V6GTY ...... these puppies are an incredible pair. Possibly the best I've heard!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:29:27 PM by Mucker »

Offline Tuco

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2024, 11:47:51 AM
Have any of you tried adding a bypass cap on your output cap?  There are folks on the internet, yeah i know, who claim it opens up and increases the detail to the mids and highs.  The recommended bypass cap is usually a 600 V 0.01 uF tinned copper foil cap.  Never tried it, but I’m curious, because unless something magical happens during the break in of my Moreplay, I have gained musicality at the expense of some resolution.  I’m not complaining, I’d rather have the musicality, but I’d prefer to have both.

Jay Decker

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2024, 07:28:27 AM
There are folks on the internet, yeah i know, who claim it opens up and increases the detail to the mids and highs.
There was something to this back when electrolytic caps were used as coupling caps and themselves weren't particularly excellent performers, but bypassing a film cap with another film cap maybe not so much.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man