Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

light pop out of left speaker [resolved]

(1/3) > >>

Urbansandz:
I'm occasionally finding that when I first start up my Kaiju the left speaker will start out ok and then shortly after startup I'll hear a light pop and lose much of the volume out of the left speaker. I've switched the speaker cables in an effort to narrow down the issue and I did find that the issue would then occur in the right speaker, so I believe the speakers are OK. When this happens I'll switch the amp on/off a few times and eventually the sound out the left speaker will be normal and once it gets into the normal state it will stay OK until I shut it off for the day. This didn't happen last year and I switched to another class D amp during the summer months. It's only begun now that I'm starting to use the amp during the colder weather. I don't think it's the pre-amp because I used that all summer with my class D without issue. I've tried switching both sets of tubes on the Kaiju to the opposite side with no change.

Paul Birkeland:
The method to track this down is to set up two sets of stacked books that you can rest the inverted Kaiju on.  Hook up some cheap speakers to the binding posts and fire it up, then poke around with a wooden chopstick until you are able to cause the problem, then this can narrow your focus on where you may have a bad solder joint or two.

Paul Joppa:
I'm a little worried that this could be a connection failure of the  resistor that bleeds the time delay capacitor, or the resistor that drains the plate voltage to ground until the delay kicks in. I'll check in again in a couple hours.

Urbansandz:
I'll just add that it's not consistent. I fired it up this morning without issue. Also, this unit doesn't move at all (it's so heavy), so I don't think it's a situation where wires are moving around even slightly.

Jay:
heat can move things around.  Wires expand and contract, the top plate can expand or even flex...  It only takes a tiny fraction of a millimeter to cause a problem.  I have solved a similar problem on my eros using the chopstick test.  (Actually, I used a bamboo skewer)

Here's a link to my post https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=14878.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version