Bottlehead Kits > Mainline

Low impedance headphone recommendations for Mainline

(1/1)

Happy Ghost:
Hello All,

This holiday season I am looking forward to snagging a decent pair of low impedance headphones for the Mainline .. My budget will really struggle to go beyond $1.8K. I have heard good stuff about Audeze LCD series, HifiMan and Grados. Too many choices, too much confusion :)

Any suggestions on a good one to pair with the Mainline? I listen mostly to jazz and hip-hop with the occasional rock album thrown in. .. I am interested in mostly dynamism and increased musicality from the headphone. Definitely not leaning towards cold and analytical.

Thanks!

Thermioniclife:
Regarding Grado's, I have an old pair of SR125's which iirc are 32 ohm. They have a pretty distinctive sound that many don't care for. I still use them from time to time with my Mainline, especially on material that lacks upper midrange but a good recording they can sound pretty bright. Running them on the high impedance setting helps. I have sentimental reasons regarding Grado because I have met Joseph Grado in the past when I worked in the home audio business and we were Grado dealers. Back then their products were way to expensive for me even on dealer accommodation which was usually 30% less than dealer cost. You might try to borrow or audition them before buying. As for the other brands you mentioned I have no knoledge. Peace out Atul.

Happy Ghost:

--- Quote from: Thermioniclife on November 10, 2023, 10:54:36 AM ---Regarding Grado's, I have an old pair of SR125's which iirc are 32 ohm. They have a pretty distinctive sound that many don't care for.

--- End quote ---

Hello Lee.. how're you... So I am a  big fan of Grado's.. I think my first genuine audiophile grade headphones were the SR-80.. Currently I own the Grado Hemp and it pairs just wonderfully with the S3X amp. But I was looking to go a bit up the line from the Hemp.. Some of the reviews about the higher priced Grado's are not that stellar and so I was a bit hesitant... There are some sweet deals on us audio mart for GS3000x for around 1.1 grand. but I am still not fully convinced.. Audeze and others seem to be closing in on Grados apparently..

ScottAstroNut:
+1 for Grados. I'm a big fan, as they are very dynamic headphones that I find pair well with my Mainline amp. My favorite Grados are the limited run of GH2's from the Heritage Series. They used cocobolo wood in their construction and are very detailed and musical, but also difficult to find. The new RS2x is also a favorite of mine, and I really like my SR325x's with the Mainline. I haven't tried the higher end Grados.

I have also owned several models of Audeze headphones and they work well with the Mainline. The LCD 2's are a bit on the warm side and are very good, but I preferred the more detailed and neutral LCD X's. My current Audeze cans are the LCD XC, as I needed a closed-back headphone for use late at night when the rest of the family is sleeping. I like them the best of all the Audeze's I've tried. They are a neutral headphone, but I still find them very musical and easy to listen to.

Good luck in your search!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version